Chapter 31

Chapter 31:

"So how're you this morning?" Ashley asked as we walked down the sidewalk, heading to school like every morning.

I shrugged. "Could be better. Dunno how long mom and dad were arguing for, but I didn't see either of them for the rest of the night."

"Ok," Ashley said, clearly not sure how to respond to that. He glanced at me. "You keeping that promise?"

"Sure am."

Ashley put a hand on my arm, making me halt. He looked at me sadly.

"Andy, please don't lie to me," he said sadly.

"I'm not lying to you Ashley," I said. "Why would I lie to you about something like that?"

Ashley looked at me sadly for a bit before he started walking again, making me follow him.

"You'd better be telling me the truth Andy; I don't need to worry any more than I already do," he said, clearly not happy with me.

We continued the walk in silence, Ashley pushing his way through the school gates and walking over to where the others were.

"Mike, can I talk to you for a sec?" Ashley asked, getting Mike's attention away from Jenna.

"Uh, sure," Mike said with uncertainty.

Ashley headed away from us, Mike in tow. Jinxx looked to me as I watched them walk off.

"What's that about?" he asked.

I shook my head, just watching Ashley and Mike. "I dunno."

***

Mike's Point of View:

"What's wrong Ash?" I asked as we came to a halt a fair way from the others.

Ashley looked over his shoulder before looking to me, keeping his voice down as he spoke.

"I need you to help me out; do me a favour," he said. "I've got a problem, and I'm real worried."

"Ashley, slow down a bit, yeah?" I said, getting a bit confused at what he was trying to say. "You've lost me."

Ashley looked at me sadly; clearly something on his mind.

"You promise you won't say anything?" he asked.

I gave a nod and he sighed.

"Whatever it is, I'll keep a secret as long as you need me to," I said, wondering why he'd come to me for this and not Jinxx.

Ashley nodded and sighed again before he ran a hand through his hair and finally spoke what was on his mind.

"Andy's been having a few home problems lately, and I'm real concerned," he began, making me nod so he knew I was listening. "I called him last night to make sure he was alright, 'cause his parents were arguing again, and he's convinced he's been what's caused it."

"Hang on, let me just make sure I know whatcha sayin'," I said. Ashley watched me as I thought about what he'd said. I gave a nod. "Ok, go on."

Ashley nodded, continuing on with his story.

"Ok, well I'm real concerned he might've started hurting himself," Ashley said, making me frown. "I know it's probably crossed his mind, but I'm real convinced he might've hurt himself last night after I spoke to him."

"Why do you think that?" I asked, seeing how concerned Ashley really was.

"It's not cold outside," he said, making me frown.