Chapter Eighteen

I tossed and turned all night, struggling to sleep. Truthfully, I have no idea how Raiden can sleep after everything we've heard. It took a long time for the basics to stick in my head: Jake murdered Jasmine; John murdered Jake; Callan knew everything all along; John paid Heaven to cheat on Callan; and that Raiden and I are here because Raiden happened to be with me at that time, and that John's going to kill me to make Callan suffer. It's funny how much life can change in a short amount of time. Okay, it isn't actually funny at all but...

"Oi! Get up you lazy gits! We've got a field trip to go on!" A Hulk unlocks our cell. Jeez, how many Hulks are there here...

Raiden groans and rolls over. "Five more minutes mum!"

Unable to help myself, I burst out laughing. Hulk geezer scowls at Raiden. Before he can harm Raiden, I glare at him and shake Raiden awake. "Get up. We have to head to the battlefield."

Raiden's eyes widen in realisation. "Oh, shit."

I shake my head in mock disappointment, my hands on my hips. "Tut tut. Shame on you."

"Whatevs." Raiden makes a "w" with his thumbs and forefingers.

"Real mature shrimpy." Is my amazing comeback.

"Says you, shrimpy."

"Oh for God's sake, stop acting like immature children! And get out of here, we have to go." Hulk snaps at us.

Simultaneously, Raiden and I poke our tongues out at him. However, we do follow him, mainly because he didn't drag us out. And I'm kind of curious as to what the hell's happening next. We walk down loads of corridors and corners. It's like some massive maze.

Finally, we end up outside. I have to blink multiple times to adjust to the bright sunlight. "Let there be light!" Raiden cries dramatically, holding his arms up in the air and falling to his knees. Trust Raiden to act like this when we're heading to my death. Ignoring him and, yet unable to stop my lips from twitching, I stare ahead and see John and Maddox leaning against a Marauder.

"How on Earth did you get a Marauder?!" I exclaim, eyes wide in shock and also excitement. What? It's not like you're going to see a Marauder every day, is it?

"I have multiple contacts," John smirks at me. "Get in."

Raiden and I do as he says and as soon as we're all inside, one of the army of Hulks starts driving. John and Maddox speak in hushed voices, so I turn my attention to Raiden. "I'm guessing this is where we go to meet with Callan." Raiden frowns slightly.

"Yeah, I guess so. Great, I'll have to see his ugly face again." I tease, trying to ease the tension.

Raiden raises an eyebrow at me. "Honey, we both know that Callan's face is most definitely not ugly."

Grudgingly, I sigh. "Yeah, yeah." I grumble under my breath.

Raiden heard me and laughed quietly, then he turns deadly serious. "We need a plan."

"Yeah, like what. Go abracadabra and magically teleport to Mars?" I say sarcastically.

"No Jesse. Something like punch that bastard in the face and knock him out then leg it?" Raiden suggests.

I stare at him. "Raiden?"

"Yeah?"

"We're in a mother freakin' Marauder. They're gonna have weapons, dipshit." I slap the back of his head.

Raiden cocks his head to the side. "Yeah, true dat."

"Why me? Why?!" I ask helplessly.

"Okay, I haven't got a plan, okay! Let's hope Callan has some sort of plan!"