Ch. 39 Vegetable Soup for the Soul

Due to a slight overlap in the schedule, Megumi and Ikumi's joint match against Central had already begun by the time Torrey and co. arrived at Hall B. Luckily, it appeared that both chefs were only just getting started. The rest of Polaris was seated in the bleachers: Marui, Ibusaki, Isshiki, and those two other guys.

            "Am I correct in assuming that the Vegan Cooking Society is no more?" Isshiki asked, making room for the new arrivals. Torrey looked uneasy, as if he'd just served undercooked chicken to a customer and was waiting for the complaint.

            "They're goners. Done for. Finito. Chopped," said Torrey glumly. He could feel the collective gaze of his peers focusing in on him.

            "Are you all right?" asked Ryoko.

            "That was cheery," said Yuki.

            "Err...sorry, I just..."

            "Waldenpond," said Soma, drawing Torrey's attention with his serious tone. It was a rare occurrence, but when something bothered the redhead, he didn't hesitate to drop his care-free attitude.

            "Yeah?"

            "You did what had to be done, right?" Soma's gaze was piercing, scrutinizing.

            "Yeah..."

            "Then accept it. I understand why you felt the need to join Central, but if you can't deal with the consequences of your actions, then you should have just packed your bags and went home," said Soma, who'd been quiet on the subject ever since Torrey announced his decision to side with the enemy.

            "Soma..." said Ryoko, appalled.

            "See? Number one rival," whispered Yuki into Takumi's ear. If one looked closely, a small vein could be seen, just above his left eye and ready to burst.

            "Yukihira's right. We have to live with the choices that we make," said Takumi, through gritted teeth.

            "What a surprisingly heavy discussion for this bunch," said Isshiki, smiling nervously while trying to lighten the mood.

            "After Ikumi, I'm probably the last person here who'd actually support the Vegans," said Yuki. "But it's still sad to think they won't have a place to cook anymore."

            "There's more to it than that," Torrey added. "Azami's pushing for a curriculum that forces the use of animal products on the students. The dish I made today should be fine, but vegan substitutes will no longer be available in Totsuki classrooms."

            "Whaaat?!" everyone else said in unison.

            "I only just heard from my opponent. After crushing her hopes and dreams," said Torrey.

            "Maybe I can cut you some slack on this one," said Soma, relenting a little. "Still, it's not that surprising given what we already know about Azami. The guy's a monster."

            "It's strange to think that a win might not necessarily be a win," said Ryoko. I want to support Torrey...but he barely approves of his own actions, she thought.

            "Sheesh. What happened to this school? Seems like just yesterday that everyone ENJOYED it here," said Yuki. They all knew the answer. Azami Nakiri happened.

***********************************************

            After their bleak conversation, the group's spirits were lifted while witnessing impressive showings from Megumi and Ikumi. In spite of the odds, these two girls were cool and level-headed while facing off against the skilled chefs of Central. One couldn't help but notice the contrast between the two Resistance fighters, however.