Chaper 1

"I'm late."

This is all you could think as you scrambled to get ready for your job interview at the Detroit Police Department. You hated being late for things, but you especially hated being late to an interview, and it didn't help that you had been struggling to find a job lately from the influx of androids being chosen for jobs. You didn't blame them, of course, it was only their programming. But it was still a little frustrating. You wiggled into your F/C leggings and you grabbed a blue blouse with pretty white dots over it. You stepped into your dress shoes and said goodbye to your golden lab, P/N.

"Watch the house, ok?" You scratched its head as it tried to lick your hands. You smiled and quickly slipped out the door of your condo, graciously gifted to you by your loaded brother, who worked with the esteemed Elijah Kamski.

"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, I hope I'm not too late." You mumbled to yourself as you reached the station. You silently hoped Sargent Fowler was in a forgiving mood as you snuck in

Later

"You're hired." Jeffrey looked at you from his desk with a firm but pleased gaze. You stared back, stunned.

"Really?" You asked, dumbfounded at his answer. He nodded and handed your papers back to you.

"If you would like, you can start today. I've had one of our androids make your desk." He straightened his tie and look back at you. You smiled at him.

"Sure, I can start today." You said eagerly, already pumped for your new job.

"Great! Welcome to the team, Detective Y/N." He said with a small grin, and you nodded and turned to leave, but he said something that caught you off guard.

"Oh, I forgot, you'll be with a partner. His name is Gavin Reed, and his desk is in front of yours." He said, looking down at his papers. You hesitated, but slowly nodded and walked out.

"A partner? Well, I hope he's a nice guy." You mumbled to yourself as you made your way to your desk to start your new job.

—————————————

Thanks for reading! I hope you like this book so far! Consider adding it to your reading list! And I'll probably post songs that go along with the theme of the chapter.