10

"He likes you," Emily said after Sam had left.

Kari blinked. She looked up from her spot on the couch. "What?"

"Embry," Emily said. "He likes you."

"Yeah," Kari said with a soft sigh. "He's a good buddy to have. I should've realized it sooner."

"That's true, but not what I meant."

Kari closed the book in her hands, not bothering to mark the page. "What are you talking about?"

"Kari, I think you know what I mean," Emily said kindly. "You're like a sister to me. I want you to be happy. Going after Jacob isn't going to give you that because he's in love with someone else. I really don't want to see you hurt."

Kari rolled her eyes. "I'm not getting hurt. Jacob is just being stupid."

Emily said nothing, effectively ending the conversation between the two of them. Kari went back to reading.

The semester went by quicker than Kari realized. Jacob moped around about Bella choosing Edward again. She'd gone to Italy to save him from himself. It was after spring break that the news of Bella and Edward's three day weekend to Florida came up. Jacob went to Forks when they were back to make sure nothing had happened. He was convinced Edward would change her while they were gone. He didn't. The problem with the rogue vampire, the reason Sam didn't want Kari leaving the reservation, was only getting worse. The only thing that seemed to be getting better was Kari's scars. They were almost healed by the time graduation rolled around.

Jacob was a menace to be around. He was angry most the time, realizing the time for Bella to be changed was getting closer. He'd even tried kissing her to convince her he was better. That had backfired and Bella had ended up with a broken hand. The night of graduation, one of the Cullens was throwing a party. Jacob was going with Quil and Embry- Quil had phased for the first time after the Cullens moved back to Forks- and it took everything they had, plus Kari's begging, for Sam to let her go with them.

The loud music could be heard from outside the house, and Kari found herself reaching for Embry's hand without thinking about it. Jacob subconsciously took her other hand. Quil followed them uneasily into the house.

"Jacob?" Bella said over the loud music. She walked over to the small group. "What are you doing here?"

"You invited me," Jacob said like it was obvious.

"Yeah, and my right hook? That was me un-inviting you," Bella told him. "Leave."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "I brought you something."

Bella raised her eyebrows. Jacob released Kari's hand to reach into his pocket and Embry pulled her further into the house. Kari looked at him with confusion. "Where are we going?"

"It's a party," Embry said. He smiled. "Even if it is full of vampires. You haven't left the rez in weeks."

Kari couldn't help smiling. They danced until Embry froze, his head tilting in the slightest. He quickly took Kari's hand in his and pulled her with him outside. A group of pale, beautiful people stood in a circle. Bella was with Edward, as usual, and Jacob looked confused with Quil standing next to him.

"What damn army?" Jacob asked loudly.

Kari tensed up as she listened. The redheaded vampire was after Bella, and she was creating an army to hide behind. An army of newborn vampires- crazed and frenzied over blood. Jacob volunteered the pack, knowing he would have to talk with Sam, and Bella protested. Kari was frozen in her place. It was all overwhelming. Before she could start hyperventilating, some kind of calm atmosphere settled over her. She felt the need to be panicked but couldn't get to the point of panicking. It was all confusing and disorienting.

SunriseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara