13

Kari knew she shouldn't be, but she was on cloud nine as she walked home in the light rain. The pack knew Embry was a brother to Sam, Quil, or Jacob, and now she knew the truth. Once she'd sorted her feelings- or at least attempted to- it had been the one true question on her mind. She was learning to love Embry in a way she'd never truly loved anyone, and she had to know for sure he wasn't her half brother. That was the first thing she had to know before even trying to comprehend that the bond between them wasn't weird... or any weirder than an imprint already is.

Emily looked up from the table when Kari walked in. "I didn't know you left."

"I may have gone through the window," Kari admitted without making eye contact. "I needed a minute to think."

"Why not use the door?"

Kari looked to see Embry sitting on the bottom step. His expression was hard, and he was clearly upset. She let out a quiet sigh. "I knew you were mad. I had a lot to think about and didn't want to see anyone."

"You could've gotten hurt," he muttered.

"How can you still be concerned about me when I'm the one that's clearly making you so angry and frustrated?" Kari asked, her temper beginning to rise.

Emily mumbled an excuse about shopping and left the house.  Kari stayed where she was in the middle of the room, unsure of what Embry would say or do.

Embry shrugged. A small smile fought against his hard expression. "You're my everything. And I'm not mad at you. I'm frustrated it's so hard for me to get over the fact that you clearly care about Jacob more. I need to learn to accept it."

Kari's temper settled. She blurted the words before she could stop herself, clasping her hands over her mouth when she realized what she'd done. "I know who your father is."

Embry stood quickly. "What? How? When?"

Kari chewed her lip and looked down. "I wasn't supposed to say that... I promised Tiffany I wouldn't say anything."

Embry shook his head. "No. You can't just say that and take it back. I've been wondering my whole life, Kar. And now I know I have a half brother,  but I don't know who he is."

"I'm sorry," she whispered. A thought occurred to her then. "I only promised not to tell who your father was, not who he wasn't..."

Embry took her hands gently, a pleading look in his eyes. "Please."

The internal battle was a vain one. Kari knew she would tell Embry. She knew without a doubt she would, because she was terrified that he wouldn't come back from the big fight that was too soon. If Embry had to die, the least she could do was tell him who his family was. She met his eyes hesitantly, not sure what to find there. "You can't tell anyone. I hate breaking promises."

"I swear."

Kari hesitated again. She knew Tiffany would be angry if she found out. She also knew there was a very real possibility they would both lose Embry forever. "It's not Joshua Uley."

Embry blinked. A smile tried to fight its way to his lips. "Really?"

Kari nodded. She looked up at him and spoke her thoughts before she lost all courage. "It's weird to think about you as anything other than a friend. But I want to see if there could be more between us. You're right about Jacob. I get so angry and shove it in his face that he's in love with someone who doesn't love him back, but I never realized how hypocritical it was of me. I've been denying my feelings for a long time now. When you told me about imprinting, what it means, I... I guess something clicked. I'm not saying I want to try because of the imprint. I want to try because we both deserve the chance. Jacob isn't changing his mind anytime soon, and I'm tired of being in some stupid, awkward love pentagon that's going nowhere."