14

Embry had hugged Kari close before holding her against him while they finished the movie. Kari knew what she wanted to say next but worried about how Embry would feel if she told the truth. When the movie finished, Embry turned off the television and ran a hand through her hair twice. "What's on your mind? I can tell something's bothering you."

"I'm afraid," she whispered.

Embry furrowed his brow. "What are you afraid of?"

"Everything," she admitted. It was strange. to be admitting her true feelings out loud. She hadn't done much of that in years.

Embry shifted so he could look at her better. "Karina, I don't understand what you're saying."

"The nightmares didn't just start," she told him. "They only changed."

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked. "I knew you had bad dreams before. I could see it when I checked up on you when you were asleep. The screaming didn't start until a little while ago..."

"I didn't want anyone to be mad," she said. "Or worried about me."

"Will you tell me?" Embry asked. "Will you tell me what they were about?"

Kari paused for a minute. She heaved a sigh. "They started after Paul- after I made him mad and the accident. Even being around Sam is hard sometimes. I see him shaking and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. It happens when I see any of you shaking. I can't help it. My scars start tingling and I get all tense and sometimes almost have a panic attack. When training started with the vampires, the dreams changed. I saw the redhead. She was running at you and tried to kill you. Sometimes it would be Sam or Jake or Quil, but it's usually you. I always end up doing something without thinking- sacrificing myself for you. Sometimes I'm too late. Sometimes there's the newborns, so crazy that I don't have a chance. Sometimes there's more than one and I feel myself getting sucked dry before I have even a thought of saving you. I watch, burning and dying, while you and the others are crushed to death."

While she spoke, Embry pulled her into his arms and stroked her hair to calm her down. He pressed kissed to her head repeatedly. Anything he could think of to help calm her, he did. "Oh, Kari... Nothing bad is going to happen. Sam told you it's going to be easy. Chances are, some of us won't even see the action."

"I have this nagging feeling inside," Kari whispered. "I know something is going to happen. If no one dies, someone is going to come back in pieces."

Embry said nothing. He'd seen this pattern enough in their friendship to know there was no way he could talk her out of her thought process. He didn't bother acknowledging how she was usually right. "Let's not talk about it, okay? Let's do something to take your mind off of it. Want to play a game?"

"What kind of game?" Kari asked.

Embry shrugged. "Whatever you want. It's warmer out, though it'll snow at least in the mountains tonight. I don't envy Jacob there."

"What do you mean?" Kari asked. "Why is Jacob in the mountains?"

"Edward and Bella are hiding out there. Jacob went tonight so they'd have a connection to the pack. Seth is taking his place in the morning."

"And you'll be in the middle of the fight," Kari said wearily.

"I'll come back," Embry promised. "Let's get you thinking about something else."

Kari sighed. "I don't want to do anything. I just want to spend time with you while I can."

"Will you please stop talking about me dying?" Embry asked. "I'm not going anywhere."