C H A P T E R F O U R

Music plays loudly through the bar as I mix drinks

Music plays loudly through the bar as I mix drinks. It's karaoke night, which means there are plenty of drunk, tone deaf people sounding like whales while blurting slurred lyrics to their favorite Top 40 song. In other words: it's the worst night of my life.

"I need a vodka tonic." A gruff man with a beard and a lumberjack shirt says as he slams down at the bar. "And maybe some earplugs to block these losers out."

"Tell me about it." I say, starting to mix his drink as I look at him. "You from around here?"

"Next town over. Westdale." He says. "Can't go to a bar there without running into somebody I know. I'm tired of talking I'm just trying to drink."

"Well," I say, sliding the vodka tonic in front of him. "Drink away. Let me know if you need anything else."

"Thanks." He says, raising his glass to me before I shoot him a smile and walk over to the other side of the bar where Nick wipes down some glasses.

"I hate karaoke night." I say.

"Tell me about it." Nick says, picking up a new glass as he turns around to face me, sighing. "You ever feel like Candace puts us on these nights to torture us?"

"I feel like everything Candace does is to torture us." I say.

"Believe it or not, I couldn't give less of two shits about you." Candace says, walking up behind us from the back rolling a pallet of brand new liquor bottles. "What I do give two shits about though is that you two niggas stop yapping and do your damn jobs."

Candace starts stacking bottles on the shelves and I look at Nick, who gives me an eye roll before walking back out to tend to the tables.

"You, you, you oughta know!" A drunk, middle-aged lady in a too tight dress and half-inch heels finished her rendition of Alanis Morrissette's You Oughta Know before throwing her middle fingers in the air. "Fuck you, Craig!"

A group of other women and one guy, who I assume are her friends, cheer profusely for her as she jumps from the stage and walks back over to them.