C H A P T E R S I X

Damn, she's got a fat ass

Is this how they make them in the hood? Maybe I should come out here more often. I lick my lips as I watch the woman walk down the street, my eyes locked on the heavy switch of her behind, and only when the car doors open again do I look away.

My father and Michael get back inside, Michael behind the wheel of the Tesla, and my father in the front seat. They made me sit outside while they went inside to talk to Emory.

My father's words from last night echo in my mind.

"Rehab doesn't work. Facilities don't work. Me beating your ass doesn't work. What's it going to take for you to act right, Beckett? Do you want to cost me this election? I don't want my future to go down the drain like yours has." He barks at me as he paces around my bedroom.

I sit at the foot of the bed quietly, twiddling my thumbs, I'm still pretty drunk to be honest.

"I mean, I give you everything you could possibly ever want." My father continues on his rant. "I make sure you go to the best school, I make sure you always have plenty of money, and I let you be..." He trails off, and I finally look up at him, and it looks like a lightbulb go off in his head. "I don't let you be yourself."

What?

"I forced a part of you to disappear." My father continues, and it sounds more like he's thinking out loud instead of talking to me.

A part of me?

"That friend you had in high school. The one from the basketball team that I caught you with? What was his name?"

Tyler.

"Tyler." My father remembers himself, snapping his fingers. "You were forced out of the closet to me and your mother that night, and we forced you right back in. 'I'm bisexual, dad.' That's what you told me, and I told you that you couldn't be. That it would ruin my governor campaign.

"But that was four years ago. This is different now. Much different." My father snaps his fingers. "I know what we've got to do to clean up your image, to let you be yourself, and to help me win this upcoming election."