C H A P T E R S E V E N

I arrive outside of the state capital building, which I haven't set foot inside since a sixth grade field trip

I arrive outside of the state capital building, which I haven't set foot inside since a sixth grade field trip. It looks even more intimidating now than it did back then. Maybe because this time I have now clue what I'm about to walk into.

I only have an hour until the time I told Aunt Danita that I would be there to help out at the center when the kids get out of school. I walk up to the front door, stepping inside, and I see a man sitting behind a desk.

He smiles as I approach him. He doesn't look much older than I do. "How can I help you?"

"I'm uh, I'm Emory Campbell." I say. "I'm here to see Rob—Governor Tate."

"Yes, he's been expecting you Emory. There's an elevator on the right down this hall. Take it up to the second floor. Once you step off, hang a left, and his office is at the very end of the hall." The man says.

I thank him before following the directions that he's given me. The ride up in the elevator feels like an eternity, long enough for my mind to race and my nerves to grow tenfold. When I step off, I hang a left just like I was told and head down the impossibly long hallway to Robert's office.

He's appears in the doorway just as I arrive, a smile on his face.

"It's good to see you again, Emory. Please, come inside, have a seat." Robert says, stepping out of the way so that I can enter the office. I remember he was having a meeting when we came here for our tour in sixth grade, so office was off limits. It's much less spectacular than I expected it to be. Michael is already sitting in one of the chairs, and he stands up when I walk over.

"Hello, again." Michael says.

I shake his hand before having a seat.

"Can I get you anything to drink, Emory?" Robert asks. "I've got bourbon and brandy."

"No. I'm fine." I say. "I don't drink actual."

"Good. That's good to hear." Robert says, and he and Michael exchange a knowing smirk as Robert sits at his desk. "I'm glad you've come, Emory. As you know, I told you I have a proposition for you."