Chapter Fourteen

Pauline's POV

"Hey." Maddie greeted then kisses my forehead. She put down the paper bag in the table in front of us.

We are inside the dugout, few hours before our first ever UAAP game for this season.

"Hi." I said softly, letting out a weak smile.

"What's the matter? You nervous?" Worry is evident on her face.

"Yes, love. I'm scared I'm going to mess things up." I admitted. I've been having these thoughts for awhile, we promised to not keep secrets from each other but she has a lot on her plate already. And now, I know I badly want to talk about this with her.

"No you won't. This is just like the previous season, but now we have to be better than our best. You have me and the rest of the team with you. We will all fight for this." She cupped my cheek while brushing her thumb on it softly. A gesture that never fails to calm me.

"I badly want to win this season. For the whole community, the team and especially for you. I want you to end your UAAP career the way you deserve it."

"Trust me, love, I've already won in life. I have you." She kissed the back of my hand after saying that.

I leaned in for a hug, "If only people know you are this corny." I laughed lightly.

I am faced by a pouting Maddie when I pulled away from our hug. I checked if any of our teammates are looking, when I made sure they aren't, I gave her a peck on the lips.

"We all saw that!" Everyone in the room shouted.

Maddie is grinning and I cannot stop myself from giggling. Both of us are red as a tomato.

I'll be fine.

After having our pre-game meal, we started warming up for the game. I'm trying my best to shake off these thoughts and get rid of this jitters for I know none of these would help me perform well later.

My girlfriend always check up on me, reassuring me that we will be okay. I cannot show anyone that I am this nervous because it might affect them also. All of us are nervous to begin with, we will face La Salle for our first ever game. This fact surely added pressure to us.

Maddie gestured for me to smile when the announcer's about to call our name, the game will start in a few. I will be starting the game alongside with Maddie, Bea, Deanna, Kim, and Vanie.

The crowd is wild but even that can't overpower the loud beating of my heart.

My worst nightmare is already happening, I kept making errors after errors. Coach O's already frustrated because I can't seem to get my shit together.

Half way through the game, I was subbed to maybe see what's happening inside the court from bench.

My emotion is getting the best ot me. I wanted to cry, but I can't. Maddie sat beside me, behind that facade I know she's worried.

"It's okay, things are going to be okay. We'll be okay, love." She grabbed my hand and held it tightly.

But even after that, I wasn't able to contribute, I kept making errors. I am so frustrated at myself. So much for wanting to win for my teammates.

Inside the dugout we got an earful from coach but he also said at least we've seen our worst, and we are yet to see our best.

Everyone's quiet, all of us are sad and upset about our loss. If this is like any other day I would be the one cheering them up. How I could I do that when I'm part of the reason why we lost. Heck, I may be the only reason why.