Chapter 1

As a scientist, Corym Petrona was intrigued when he heard the news about the Quiggard of Zyd and knew this was his chance to be remembered. He packed up his things and set off for the kingdom.
It was a three week's journey but Corym finally made it to the kingdom's borders. Corym walked around the tall wall until he found the gate. He looked through it and gasped. The kingdom was empty. He looked around to find something to climb the wall with, yet he found nothing. He grasped onto the gate and started climbing it. Corym wasn't going to let anything stand in the way of his fame. He finally made it over the gate and looked around at the bare village.
"What happened to this place?" Corym muttered to himself.
"The Quiggard happened."
Corym jumped at the raspy voice and spun around to face the noise. An elderly woman limped toward him. "Excuse me ma'am, what happened here?"
"You wouldn't be here if you didn't know the answer."
"That's not what I meant," he breathed.
"What was that?"
"I said I'm a scientist and I am here to stop the Quiggard."
He could tell the woman knew that's not what he had said but she didn't say anything about it. Instead the woman scoffed, "You're not the first, and let us pray you're the last." She gave him a once over and hobbled away.
Corym pushed the woman out of his thoughts and set off toward the castle. He expected it to be fully protected with knights, or at least somewhat protected but there were only two of them at the opening of the castle.
"Excuse me," Corym began, "I need to see King Daron. I am a scientist and I think I can save your people," he said to the soldiers.
"They're all dead!" Corym flinched. It was the old woman again.
Annoyed, Corym asked, "are you the only one here?"
"Nope, follow me kid," the woman said as she sauntered into the castle.
"Who are you?"
"My name is Maraddyth, I was the first one. I promised these people I would save them, just like you did. And you will fail, just as I did."