Chapter 4

"What?" She stammered.
"You heard me. Get the King!"
"I'm not-"
"Your servant? Yes I know, but this is more important than any of us," he paused, "please."
"No."
"Ma'am." He said sternly.
"I'm sorry. I really am. You were much smarter than everyone else. I would have liked you to find a cure. I wish you could have taken longer."
"Were?" He gulped.
Maraddyth gave him a sad smile and reached into her small satchel. She pulled out some white powder and threw it his direction. Corym realized it was an inhalant too late and slumped to the floor.

Corym's eyes snapped open. He was tied to a table. There were knives, scalpels, and syringes on the table next to him.
"You are awake!" The old woman came into his view and smiled. "Most scientists figure out someone made the plague after months of digging and you did it in a few minutes. I have to say I am incredibly impressed."
"Is this some kind of test?"
"Oh no. You were right the first time. Biological warfare." She smiled.
"Are you trying to kill everyone in Zyd?"
"Oh heavens no. They are just the way to the King."
"Oh! I see. You killed Queen Helena and Princess Maddalyne! All you have left is King Daron and you can rule a broken kingdom? Great idea." He said sarcastically.
She winced. "I never wanted to hurt the Queen."
"What about the Princess?"
She sighed. "The Princess, well she's a different story."
"I have time."
"That's the thing Mr. Petrona, you don't. I injected you with the Quiggard virus and you will die like the others just like I said you would."
"If you don't want to take over the kingdom why kill the King?"
"Because he killed the man I love!" She shouted.
"You sound like the women my age." He scoffed.
"I am a woman your age." She mumbled.
He laughed. "Sorry, for a second I thought you said you were as young as me."
She sighed. "I guess I will tell you, it's not like the dead tell tales."
He rolled his eyes.