Chapter 6

Ethan glanced at my suitcase by the kitchen door before staring at me intensely.

"What's going on, Emmy?"

I sighed heavily and pulled the threatening note from my back pocket so he could read it. It was an excuse to get out of here, and despite dreaming of this moment for many years, I didn't feel any excitement about leaving.

Ethan's hand dragged through his hair in exasperation before meeting my eyes.

"Sasha was here?"

"That's not all. She slashed my sheets and went through my stuff. I don't think she's going to leave me alone."

"Woah," he exclaimed before squeezing his temples. "Are you sure you can't think of what you did to piss this girl off? Maybe we can fix it if you remember!"

"Don't you think I'd have recalled doing anything serious enough for a girl to want me dead by now, Ethan? I barely know her! I keep out of her way just like every other girl not in her tribe!"

"Chill, I'm just asking!"

"Sorry," I muttered. "I'm a bit on edge."

I took a deep breath before continuing.

"I can't think of anything I ever did to Sasha. Our moms were besties before Marlene left to be with Ash when I was eight. They took us to beauty pageants. Sasha loved them; I hated them. We didn't spend any other time together, and that was like nearly ten years ago. Honestly, I have no clue why she's doing this, Ethan!"

"Where will you go?"

"My mom's."

"California?"

I nodded.

Ethan's huge frame sagged. He might not be the size of Lance, but those shoulders were sculpted from pure muscle. Ethan was an amazing swimmer, able to swim for miles against the strongest current when most would flounder. Something he proved without a doubt when he saved me.