Chapter 10

"Hello!"

The bright, upper-class British accent sent a thrill through my core.

"Hi!"

"You must be our student from California, Emmy Weston. Am I right?"

"Yes, that's me!" I replied, not bothering to correct her about Knox County, Maine being my usual main address.

"I'm Camilla Dunphy, your house mistress."

I stared at her in slight confusion.

"It must be a little daunting, let me explain," she laughed kindly.

She indicated for me to follow her down the statue-lined corridors.

"The majority of our students come to us much younger than you, but a few arrive for just a short period if their circumstances deem it necessary," she smiled. "You'll be living at Whitman House with around thirty other girls of various ages that board at the school."

"Oh, I thought it was dormitories."

"No, there are twelve houses, each with a similar number of students to Whitman. Each house has study bedrooms, a common room, laundry facilities and a kitchen. Think of it as a bit like Harry Potter residing in Gryffindor while others stayed at Slithering!" She laughed at the comparison. "No broomsticks, but there's a bit of healthy competition between each house. Whitman girls are the best of course," she winked.

"The school is mixed though, right?" I asked, convinced I'd seen male students in the prospectus.

"Yes, they live in separate houses although lessons are co-educational."

"You mentioned kitchens; I thought we received meals?"

Ms. Dunphy held open an external door for me that led us to a covered walkway. The ceiling above was intricate arches while carved pillars were to my side. Looking out between the columns I could see that the building we were in was one side of a square, with the other three arranged around a lawn in the center.