Twice the chance

The Embalmer woke up late. He wasn't in any of the early matches and his body was screaming for more time in bed. Perfect excuses.

The next match of the day would be after lunch, eight versus two. This type of match was chaos, of course, but there was twice the chance of Joseph being there. Aesop wanted to take this opportunity to speak to him again.

He got off the bed, dressed up and tied his greyish hair back while watching himself in the mirror. What exactly should he say?

"Excuse me, Joseph, do you mind telling me why the fuck you decided calling me dear was a good idea?"

He couldn't help but overthink the word. Did Joseph throw around nicknames regularly or was it just that one time?

He took his mask and made his way to the table downstairs, but a small figure interrupted him before he sat down.

"Good morning, Aesop." Emily approached the man with a plate of biscuits. "Here. Please, eat something. I haven't seen you take a single bite from yesterday's dinner."

Aesop reached one of the snacks and smiled. He felt like he was being spoiled. A doctor giving him junk food for lunch? This is every child's dream!

"Thank you, Emily, I appreciate it."

She let out a sigh of relief. Guess the plan of shoving food down Aesop's throat wasn't needed anymore. At least he was having a biscuit for lunch, which is already a beginning. She took her seat next to Helena and Emma.

"Have you decided who is going to the eight versus two match?" Aesop asked.

The survivors looked at each other with suspicion. Eight versus two meant more interaction, and they knew how much Aesop hated that.

"No... Do you... Do you want to come?" Eli spoke up.

"Yes... Is there a problem?" Aesop said after taking a bite of the biscuit.

"No, not at all. I'll go too."

"Me too." Fiona got into the conversation.

"Can I take one more of these?" Aesop asked Emily for more biscuits.

"Okay, who are you and what have you done with Aesop?" Emma laughed.

"Emma!" The doctor was about to tell her off.

"What? I am definitely not complaining! I like him better this way."

"Emma, you are making it worse!"

Emily tried to shut her up by putting her hand over her mouth, but it just ended in a strangely adorable girl-fighting scene with giggles.

Aesop rolled his eyes but hid his smile with his glove. It was cute watching his friends arguing basically to see who treated him better.

In the end, they decided who was going to play the next match: Aesop, Eli, Fiona, Tracy, Margaretha, Vera, Martha, and Kurt. And hopefully Joseph too.