Catch Game

Joseph had been biting his nails (something he hadn't done in a very long time) and stomping his foot for so long he lost track of time.

One day had passed and no signs of Aesop. He couldn't help but go to the maximum matches possible in order to see him again, but nothing happened. He felt anxious and worried. He knew something happened, he could feel it in his soul. Was he hurt again? Last time he was able to get back to the game a few hours later, where was he now?

"Hey! Joseph!" Black threw himself on the photographer's shoulders. "Are you going to take a break or not? Rest a bit, buddy."

Joseph quickly dismissed him, pushing his face away with the palm of his hand. "I'm stressed. Just want to distract myself a bit."

"Got dumped again, I see." Black started massaging Joseph's shoulders jokingly. "Did you follow my advice? Is that why she dumped you? Sorry, the Wu Chang company does not take refunds."

Joseph snorted. "Yes, I kind of did follow your advice. And don't worry, I may not need that refund."

"Wow, someone is confident! Why do you look so nervous then?"

Joseph's face closed again. "It's nothing. I have to go." He got up and left the room, ready for another match.

It was an afternoon match at the arms factory. While the other survivors split up in the beginning, the coordinator and the embalmer walked side by side.

"Martha, for the fifth time, I can't decode properly under pressure. Please, please, just give me some space."

Martha, this time, wasn't giving up that easily. She looked down at him. "Well, I don't think you can behave properly either! What got into you, Aesop? You were injured and you knew damn well you weren't in a condition to get back on the field! And you didn't have anyone with you, just in case!"

Aesop failed a calibration once again. "Your lectures aren't helping either. Just-" The embalmer got his hands off the cipher machine hand ruffled his hair. He had enough of his teammates feeling like they had to take care of him like this, instead of actually paying attention to the game. He wasn't anyone's responsibility, and he knew he could take care of himself.

So he got up and summoned his coffin near a wall. "There. I am safe. Can you go now?"

Martha turned her head around to see Aesop pointing at his coffin. She sighed deeply.

"Martha, it's nothing personal. I have nothing against you, I just need space. Please."

The coordinator felt bad, but instead of showing it, she walked up to the embalmer and grabbed him by the collar. "If I know you hurt yourself again, I will lock you in your room for a whole week and only open the door to give you food. Understand?" Aesop gulped, then nodded. "Good. Don't disappoint me." She let go of him, looked around, smiled to break the ice, and got going.

Aesop thanked her under his breath, even though she could no longer hear him. When he got back to decoding, his heart rushed immediately. He didn't think twice and started running and only stopped when...

"Aesop."

Oh. He turned around and faced the blonde man. "Joseph... But I haven't seen any cameras."

"Well, that's only fair. I haven't seen you." For quite some time, actually.

The embalmer had a sad smile under his mask. "I guess I should start running?"

"Definitely." The photographer smiled too. He understood he didn't want to talk, not now, not about that. At least they could play this catch game. And it took a while to end since they giggled and ran around in circles for such a long time until Joseph got bored and got rid of his sword, threw it somewhere and forgot about it. But he didn't stop chasing after him.

Aesop looked behind, clearly confused. And in the middle of all that giggling Joseph caught the embalmer by the hips and pinned against the wall.

There was a mix of laughing and harsh breathing for a moment until both ceased. They just stared at each other's eyes in silence, enjoying just how close they were. Nothing around them mattered more than this.

Aesop dropped his gaze to Joseph's lips. He couldn't deny his wishes anymore, he knew what he wanted but...

The photographer closed his eyes and sighed. Then he moved away from the survivor, laughing quietly at his own embarrassment.

The alarm sounded right after that, and Joseph took that chance to leave. "You should go." He simply said and made his way out.

Aesop did the same, reflecting on what had just happened. It took a while for him to process why he had done that. If both of them wanted the same thing, why back off at the last minute?

When he did understand why, he wanted to kick himself. Multiple times. Of course he can't kiss you if you're wearing that damned mask, stupid!!