Choke Me With Roses

A soft sigh leaves your mouth leaning your head back against the wall of the small dingy room you managed to rent with the money you receive from your small salary. ‘God.. my head is pounding..’ you thought slowly hanging your head forward against your chest. Inhaling deeply at the scent of your boyfriend’s sweatshirt. The faint smell of liquorice and cigarettes slowly calming your mind.

“Yeongjun! Open up! You’re late on your rent again!” A loud
pounding on the door shook you back to reality.

“Yeah, yeah! I’m coming with the money!” You shout back your
accent weighing heavy on your voice. Going to your coat pulling out a
large sum of your paycheck, you open the door looking at the short man
waiting there up and down holding out the money “I thought I told you to call me Jun?” You huff as your landlord snatches away the money.

“And I told you to pay your rent on time.” The man you’ve come to
know as Blackie snapped back. His eyes slowly softening as he flipped
through the bills. “Turn on the Channel thirty-seven news…” Blackie said  softly closing the door leaving you a bit confused.

You furrow your eyebrows as you lock your door behind him.
Turning on the television, your fingers gently circle around the keys. After debating whether or not to see what Blackie wanted you to, your fingers punch the three and seven keys in that order.

‘Mm.. commercials..’ You think to yourself as a bright smile
appeared on the screen with happy background music playing. You turn
away for the annoyingly ecstatic video. The fridge is almost bare
but you pull out a slice of ham and cheese. Munching on them quietly,
reaching to get a glass, filling it with water from the sink, almost choking
when you hear the news turning back on.

“Welcome back to Channel Thirty-seven news. This is Janet, the
hour is ten pm on the dot. We’re returning to cover a story we just got in earlier today. A local man, Thomas Kim, turned up dead on the banks of
the Vermilion River. The police have scant evidence of any foul play.
We’re thinking this was a sui-“

Your body recoils hearing the name of your boyfriend. The glass
slipping from your hand, a shattering sound filling the small room as it
hits the floor. The sound of the TV set turning off almost comforting to
your already panicking mind. Your hands trembling as you run your
fingers through your shaggy black hair pushing it back. Your fingers
moving down to the deep purple marks littering your neck and over your Adam’s apple.

“He was here last night… he only went home this morning..” You
whisper to yourself- noticing your voice was wavering and fluttering. At
the realization you were crying you hastily wiped at your eyes shaking
your head. Your feet starting to make you pace around the room shaking
your head. “No no no no..” You whisper to yourself hugging Thomas’s
sweatshirt to yourself.

“He was happy.. so happy with his life.. he was happy at his job, he had a good place to live.. His home life growing up was amazing..” You start going over anything and everything that could’ve driven your boyfriend to hurl himself into a river like it was nothing. Anger flashes in your mind pulling off the sweatshirt, flinging it across the room. Your fingers start tracing over the scars and tattoos over your arms and chest, imagining you could use them to go back in time.

That you could go back to your childhood cat in Korea. That your parents were still with you when you came to America. The koi fish in the pond near the park you used to play in. Your fingers reach the newer tattoos. Memories of Thomas come flooding into your head. The picnic he took you on for your first date. The time the two of tied up a tire swing for his kid neighbor. The first time you met his parents who now lovingly call you turtle.

Running out of tattoos you have to stop yourself. The thoughts and memories causing tears to once again well in your eyes. Your movements slow as you go around your room to get dressed. Tenderly picking up the ruffled sweatshirt slipping it back on before pulling on your shoes.

A small shiver ran up your back as you walked outside. It was only October but the Minnesota air was still chilly enough to see your breath. Your bike being the only vehicle you own leaning against the railing. You start the short journey to Thomas’s parents house hopping off your bike about a half block away.

You freeze your eyes widening in realization as Thomas’s father being walked out of the house. Handcuffs around his wrists. Shouting and struggling as he was forced into a police car. Dropping your bike, you run to Mrs.Kim pulling the sobbing woman into your arms to comfort her.

In the coming months you slowly find a way to cope with Thomas’s death. You get a better job and move in with Mrs.Kim to help support her and pay for the house. Your lips tugging into a small smile each time she calls you her son. Your body dawning a new tattoo, a ring of roses around your neck. Each one covering the last places he kissed you.

'°•.______________________________.•°'

Author's Note

This is one of my favorite stories, I tried my best to give it a happy ending. I hope you enjoy it!