BUCKY BARNES - PT. 2/3

Bucky Barnes x male reader

Title: Far too young to die - pt. 2/3

The rain fell heavy from the sky as Y/N watched the dark grey clouds. The wind pulled the branches of the trees and moved them fiercely. Y/N sighed and looked down to the framed picture in his hands. It showed him and Bucky. Both weren't looking at the camera, because they were smiling at each other with glowing eyes. Their shoulders touched hardly, but this touch was something special to Y/N. He remembered the feelings he had when this picture was taken: He had been in love. And he still was. Y/N tried to recall the memories of this day. It hadn't been a day like this: No rain and the sun had been shining all day long. Bucky had taken Y/N to a funfair. It had been their first date, even though they didn't dare to call it a date back then, but Bucky and Y/N had been together ever since.

Y/N pressed the picture to his chest when he felt his heart hurt. He started sobbing quietly.

It was always him. Y/N was always the one who cried, but usually Bucky would come to him and hug him and tell his lover that he'd be okay. But not this time. Bucky had his last day home before he was going to war. He wanted to spend it with his best friend Steve Rogers at the Stark Expo and he had left Y/N without saying goodbye. Maybe that was Bucky's way of saying goodbye, because he didn't know how to. Or he broke up with Y/N. He didn't know, and he didn't like not knowing. Y/N felt lonely and hopeless, his mind was racing, and he felt his heartbeat speeding up as he sank to the floor and cried, still hugging the picture as if his life was depending on it. He loved Bucky with all his heart.

A silent knock at the front door pulled Y/N out of his thoughts. He stood up, threw the picture on his bed and wiped his tears away with the sleeve of his shirt. After he opened the door, he had to blink a few times before he recognized the person in front of him.
"Bucky," he whispered. The man nodded and smiled. The uniform he was wearing was wet from the rain and he looked like he was cold. Y/N couldn't do anything else than stare at Bucky's eyes and shake his head slightly. How did he even dare to doubt that Bucky would come to say goodbye?
"Can I come in?" Bucky asked, and Y/N nodded.

After he had closed the door behind Bucky, the man cupped Y/N's face with his hands and stroked his cheeks with his thumbs. His hands were warm, he must have kept them inside his pockets on his way to Y/N's home.
"Why did you cry? Was it because of me?"
Y/N nodded. Bucky always knew what was bothering his lover.
"I never really thought that you'd come tonight," Y/N admitted shyly, but Bucky nodded understandingly.
"I know. I wanted to say goodbye."
Y/N's heart dropped, and he stepped away from Bucky, who let go off his cheeks.
"Y/N," Bucky said in a reproachful tone, but his lover didn't listen. He started running around the room in anger and confusion.
"I don't want you to go, Buck!"
"I know, but- "

"You cannot do this to me! I love you!" Y/N shouted, and Bucky noticed the tears that were falling again. Bucky walked over to him and pulled him into a tight embrace. Y/N didn't protest, and Bucky started to gently stroke his hair to calm him down, which didn't work so he said in a soothing tone, "I love you too, Y/N."

Bucky's words made everything worse. Y/N started crying hard. His tears wet Bucky's jacket again. He was shaking and sobbing in his boyfriend's arms, who wasn't sure what to do, so he picked Y/N up and carried him to his bed. After he laid him down on the mattress, Bucky noticed a framed picture lying on the pillow next to Y/N's head. He took it and looked at it, running his fingertips over the cold glass. The slightly younger version of himself looked at a slightly younger version of Y/N. He still looked at Y/N the same way he did back then, even in hard times like this. While the Bucky on the picture was smiling, his reflection in the glass looked sad. He tried to fake a smile and put the photograph on a small cabinet next to the bed.

After that, Bucky took off his jacket. He felt Y/N's eyes on him and gave him a quick look before taking off his tie and unbuttoning his shirt. Once he had put his clothes on a chair, he lied down next to Y/N. Bucky pulled Y/N closer and took his hand.

"I know that you don't want me to leave," he said soothingly. "But I have to. I'll come back to you. I promise." Y/N put his head on Bucky's naked chest and listened to his heartbeat. It was calming him down a little.
"You can't know if you'll ever come back," he said quietly, and he could feel Bucky's muscles tense up under his bare skin.
"Don't say that. I will come back, Y/N." But Y/N shook his head.

"War isn't a game, Buck. The battlefield isn't a funfair. People die there." Bucky fell silent. He seemed lost in his thoughts and Y/N didn't want to interrupt his thinking. Bucky started running his fingers over his lover's back. He drew lines and shapes and let Y/N lean into his touch. He remembered the nights that they had spent outside, beneath the stars. Joking around or kissing. Holding hand or cuddling.

Both were lost in their thoughts for a while, until Y/N broke the silence.
"You are going to leave me in the darkness. In the cold. I won't know what's going on in the war, I'll just stay here, left in the darkness, until I bring light into it by reading the newspaper and listening to the men who returned from war. They're going to tell their stories and I'll hope to hear your name. But I'll also be afraid of it. Maybe they'll tell me that you're dead or got imprisoned. Or that you are badly hurt. But when I don't read the newspaper and don't listen to those men, because I'm too afraid, I'll be left in the darkness forever. There's no chance to hear from you and I'll wait here, and I'll get old and I'll die. But you left me in the darkness. And I'll never know."

Bucky stayed silent and for a moment, Y/N thought that he might have fallen asleep, but then he started caressing his hair again. Y/N could hear that Bucky's breath became erratic and raised his head. Tears were silently rolling down his boyfriend's face.

"I don't want to die, Y/N," Bucky sobbed. Y/N, who thought that he had already cried all his tears out, started again as well.
"I need you, Y/N. I don't want to leave." Y/N nodded. He started kissing Bucky's cheeks, his lips, his neck and his chest. His hands were on Bucky's cheeks, he tried to wipe his tears away, but they kept falling, no matter how hard he tried.

"I know." He sank into Bucky's arms again and felt his breath against his wet cheek. Y/N felt Bucky's strong arms wrapped around him, keeping him safe.

"Let's get married," Bucky said suddenly in between sobs.
"What?"
"I want to marry you, Y/N. Right here, right now. Your name is now Barnes. Y/N Barnes. So that you'll always have something of me with you, even though it's only a picture and a name," Bucky whispered.
"Okay." Y/N chuckled.
"I'm serious," his lover said. "I, James Buchanan Barnes, take you, Y/N, for my lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part." Y/N sighed but smiled brightly. His heart hurt a little less.

"I, Y/N, take you, Bucky, for my lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until- " He stopped. Death do us apart. He couldn't say it and swallowed. Bucky noticed that Y/N was uncomfortable saying those words and smiled weakly.

"You may now kiss," Bucky whispered and placed his lips on Y/N's. Y/N returned the kiss and closed his eyes. He tried to memorize every moment of this to have something to hold onto, until Bucky would return. They kissed again and again, lips moving against each other silently. Bucky's half naked body was pressed against Y/N's fully clothed one, that was how they fell asleep.

When Y/N woke up, Bucky's half of the bed was cold. He raised his head and found the framed picture lying next to his head with a small handwritten note laying on top of it.

See you soon, Y/N Barnes. I love you.

Bucky never returned from the war.