BUCKY BARNES

Title: Trick or treat

Genre: idk? mix of angst & fluff
Summary:
It's Halloween night and I am bad at writing (summaries)
Words:
760

Water splashed up from beneath the man's heavy combat boots, up to his shins where it wet the dark fabric of his trousers. A shiver ran down his spine as he looked around, checked if anyone was watching him. But at this time, the streets were empty. The kids that had gone trick or treating for Halloween were all at home by now, happy and stomachs full of sweets, sleepy, and a little spooked from their fellow trick or treaters' costumes.

Bucky had seen a lot of creative costumes, well-made ghosts and vampires, witches and clowns. A few Avengers as well, though they did not quite fit into Halloween, he thought.

All the children had had fun, Bucky had watched them drag their parents around the houses to get candy. He had yelled at a few teenagers throwing eggs at a house, but the rest of the night had been peaceful. No war broke out, no one died for once in Bucky's life.

Now it was just him on the empty street. All houses were dark, only a few decorations were still glowing; but the most light came from the blinking traffic and streetlights. The neon tubes of the diner down the street. The occasional car driving in the distance. It all glistened on the wet asphalt, in the many colours that were the night in a small neighbourhood.

Bucky sighed deeply and watched his breath float up into the air, to join the light fog dancing through the night like a ghostly ballerina. He started to walk again, because if there was one thing more suspicious than a strange man walking through a small neighbourhood in the middle of the night, it was a strange man standing and staring at a small neighbourhood in the middle of the night. Especially suspicious on Halloween-

Or spooky season, that's what you had called it. A small smile formed on his lips. Halloween had never been something Bucky had genuinely celebrated but seeing you so passionate about it had warmed his heart. He had been there to decorate the house with you. You had carved pumpkins together, crafted some small ghosts, put up lights around the house. And that sweet and lovable smile never left your lips.

So it had hurt Bucky even more than ever when he had to leave for a mission over Halloween.

He had watched you swallow your disappointment, to make it easier for him, but it just made him feel guiltier. All you had wished for was to spend Halloween with the man you loved, but he had to disappoint you again.

Thinking about this stung.

He buried his hands deeper in the pockets of his jacket. He raised his shoulders, made himself smaller to protect himself from the cold of the nearing winter.

At the end of the road, there was one house with the lights inside still burning. Bucky's heart jumped at the sight of the decorations, that you and he had put up a few weeks ago, though the pumpkins had been replaced by new ones.

He stopped once again, to look around. He hadn't noticed anyone following him, but he could never be sure.

As he approached your house, he kicked some single sweets with his foot, fingers fidgeting with the zipper of his jacket before he hesitantly pressed the button for the doorbell.

It didn't take long until the door was being unlocked and Bucky took a few deep breaths before putting on a smile, that immediately turned into a genuine one upon seeing you, an almost empty bowl in your hands, with only a few single sweets that were known for being the children's least favourite at the bottom of it.

"Trick or treat?" Bucky offered.
"Bucky?" You looked at him in incredulous amazement. "I- I thought you wouldn't be able to make it!" Your eyes widened incredibly, and Bucky couldn't help the small laugh that escaped him.

He shrugged. "I have my ways." Immediately, Bucky found himself in a tight embrace, and suddenly, the cold didn't matter to him anymore. He heard the bowl fall to the ground, but he didn't care, and he knew that you did neither. He buried his nose in the crook of your neck, inhaled the scent of Halloween, that was candy and pumpkins and hot chocolate. But you also smelled like home.

He started to walk you backwards into the warmth of the house before pulling away from your embrace.

A sweet kiss was planted on his lips along with the words 'welcome home'.