BUCKY BARNES

Bucky Barnes x trans male reader

Title: Every Wednesday

Prompts: Trans Pride + Coffee Shop AU

The sweet smell of coffee and hot chocolate mixed with the cold air of autumn, when the door to the small but always busy coffee shop opened for another time.

Bucky glanced up for a moment and saw a familiar face looking around. He smiled when he recognised you after your eyes met for a second. You returned the smile and walked towards him, apologising to a few other customers you passed. When you were fully in his field of vision, he noticed that you were wearing the cute red scarf he had seen on you a few times now, as well as the baggy hoodie you were always wearing.

Bucky gave a coffee to another customer after receiving the money for it and turned around to serve you.

He could still remember the first time he had seen you in the small café. It must have been about a year ago.

Just now, Bucky noticed how much you had changed in the span of only one year. Your hair was shorter, and you looked a little more confident than before. Your confidence had changed with the way you were wearing your clothes: from looking uncomfortable in tight shirts to looking happier in baggy hoodies.

Bucky loved it when you came in and he couldn't deny the fact that you were one of his favourite customers (always nice, not like some other people he had to frequently deal with), you came in every Wednesday to have a hot chocolate to go. He also couldn't deny the fact that he had started crushing on you, even though the only conversations you had were always the same: "What can I get you?" "A hot chocolate to go, please".

Bucky had stopped asking for your name after the third time you had come in. He still remembered the way you had bitten your lip while saying it quietly, looking totally adorable. You always took the hot drink while smiling at him for the last time before leaving again with the words, "have a nice day".

Bucky didn't have the courage to ask you out, so all that he had left was admiring you every Wednesday for a few minutes, until you left the café again, but never his memory.

Bucky sighed at the thought of you leaving again and smiled at you.

"What can I get you?"
You answered without hesitation, "A hot chocolate to go, please." The sound of your voice made Bucky's heart beat a little faster. He loved the sentence you said to him every Wednesday. Sometimes, he wished that people said this instead of 'I love you' and thought about you saying this sentence to him every day. He typed your order into the computer and grabbed a cup and a pen to put your name on it, but before he could write it down, you raised your hand and held his wrist to stop him.

"Wait," you said loudly. Bucky stopped and locked eyes with you for a few seconds. You stared back at him and bit your lip. It looked like you were thinking about something, but Bucky couldn't tell what it was. His eyes darted down at your hand. You let go off his wrist and put your hands into the pockets of your hoodie.

"Wait," you repeated a little quieter this time. Bucky lowered the pen and gave you a confused look while trying to figure out what was happening. Things like this happened frequently, but he had never expected you to do something like this, which confused him even more. After a moment of silence, you sighed and started speaking again.

"I- My name- My name is Y/N. I am Y/N. Call me Y/N now," you stuttered and looked down to avoid Bucky's gaze.

"Okay," he answered and wrote the name on the cup without hesitation. When he turned around to fill the cup, he could hear a relieved sigh from you. He smiled to himself when he understood everything. Why you were always so uncomfortable with him asking for your name, until today, when you finally had the courage to come out to him. And when you had the courage to come out, he should have the courage to ask you on a date.

Bucky gave the cup to you and for about a second, your fingers touched. You smiled at him and Bucky thought that he could even see tears in your eyes, but you blinked a few times so that he wasn't sure about it.

"I'm glad that you told me," Bucky said. "I'll be finished in a few minutes and I was wondering if you'd like to go on a walk with me? Maybe dinner after?" Surprise was written all over your face.

"Yeah. I'd love to."

"Okay, Y/N. I'll see you at the entrance in a few minutes for our date," Bucky chuckled, and you nodded, eyes shining brightly. You took your wallet from your pocket, but now it was Bucky's turn to stop you.

"This one is on me, Y/N." Bucky noticed how your face lit up every time he said your name. He wanted to go and serve another customer, but you hugged him shortly, while whispering, "thank you" into his ear.