06

WHEN CAROLYNN RAN into Tyler a few days later, she almost slammed her locker door onto her fingers

WHEN CAROLYNN RAN into Tyler a few days later, she almost slammed her locker door onto her fingers. "Jesus Tyler." She exclaimed, then closing the door with fingers removed. "Sorry." He fumbled with his fingers, seemingly trying to find the words to say.

"What happened at the hospital-" Carolynn looked around at her peers, hoping no one would hear. "I want to say I'm sorry. It wasn't my place to just show up out of nowhere."

Carolynn sighed. "Let's walk." She ushered him to follow her outside. Once to a bench on the frontyard did she speak. "What you did, was really sweet." She admitted. How she'd acted that day was rude, but for someone to just walk in woth no idea what she'd been dealing with with a fruit basket? She hated it.

"Just, shoot a text next time."

"I would if I actually got a response back." Tyler smiled, letting her know he was teasing. She let out a small laugh, one that was swept away by the wind. There and gone the next. "I also believe you own me an answer to lunch?" He pushed.

She never put herself out there and kept her life attached to her dad. She didn't want the one time she wasn't there to be the time he'd leave the world. But as her dad would say, he wanted her to live her life, that he would always be there.

But there was also Jeremy. She didn't want to be the replacement of the feud between them since Vicky was gone. Then again, Jeremy wasn't looking at her the way she did, and maybe she had to accept that. Maybe try for something different. Who knew, maybe Tyler would be a good first boyfriend. Embarrassing as it was to be sixteen and not even a first kiss.

"Okay. Let's do lunch. How's Sunday?" That would give her three days to prepare for her first date, if she could call it that.

"Sounds perfect." Tyler smiles, taking a leap of faith to kiss her cheek. "I'll see you Sunday." Walking off, Carolynn couldn't help the smile on her face. She was excited.

She almost skipped into the school before being bombarded by Caroline. "Did he just ask you out!" She almost screeched. Carolynn shushed her. "Is that so terrible?"

"Oh god no! It's great! I mean Tyler can be...y'know but no, that's great. Good first boyfriend." Caroline rambled. "We're just havijg lunch, it's not a date." Carolynn dismissed.

"Wha-of course it is! Unless you've established friendship then it is one hundred percent a date!" Caroline then gasped. "Oh! You need to tell the girls, we need to have an emergency sleepover and makeover. Our girl is growing up."

Carolynn rolled her eyes, but couldn't help but laugh. This was the Caroline she became friends with and loved.

***

Waking up at Elena's house on Sunday, the girl's couldn't stop buzzing at the fact that Carolynn was going on her first date. Tyler had the reputation of the player, but none the less seemed genuine about his intentions. Even though it was only lunch, they treated it as a huge event.