Release and friends

We sat in the undergrowth for a moment, catching our breaths. We must have run a few miles, and that wasn't the kind of breath caught easily. The world swirled around my head and my band itched at my leg. Being banded in a domestic setting was unpleasant, but in the wild, it was torture.

Just as I was thinking about the band, I heard it disengage and fall softly on the leaf litter below it. As per instinct, I immediately transformed into my cockatoo form, ready to exercise and stretch my suddenly feathered wings. I felt free once more, like the world and the sky's and the sea were all mine. I readied myself to fly loops around the forest, but I saw Liana's face first.

She was chuffing, watching me. I stood feathered on the forest floor, dumbfounded. She was sat, learning on her furred arms. I stopped and stared for a moment. I looked at her facial expressions, using my innate knowledge of body language to interpret what my friend was thinking.

She thought I was going to abandon her.

Disgusted at the mere idea, I changed back into a human and climbed to my feet. No a bit taller than the sitting alien, I stepped over to her and sat down. Never in my entire life had I wished she understood my body language as much as I did in that moment.

"Go-go on... I won't stop you. I...I'll stay in the woods or something, I...I don't need you. If the-ey find you, they'll sell you." The Alvari struggled to speak in between chuffs. I inched closer, holding her hand in a gesture she'd understand. She eventually smiled, signifying she understood my gesture.

Moments later, I heard noises from the trees. I looked up to see two birds, neither of which belong to this planet. A macaw and a snowy owl braces my presence, and I recognized them immediately. I gestured for Liana to wait while I for a to greet the two intruders.

Bramble, Rain! Why are you here? I had flown to their branch. Bramble "spoke" first, still in his owl form.

This is where we moved, Stormy. More importantly, why are you here?

And with an Alvari, too! Rain, the macaw, interjected.

I got captured...

Again? Rain and Bramble said in unison.

When you get older you-

Stormy, I'm the same age as you. We climbed off that rock together, you, me and Reed. I know it's boring to be this old and you need to fill the time with something, but this is excessive!

I suppose for a moment. Bramble was one of just a few Cuckoolines who dared speak to me that way, and for good reason. We were the same age. Cuckoolines have a sort of hierarchy. The older you are, the more respected you are. Reed, Bramble, and I were the oldest Cuckoolines alive, so no one besides each other could tell us off. I opted to sulk.

Is she nice? Rain peeked over at Liana, who had been watching from the ground.

Yes, and we need help. We're on the run. I don't know if she can survive out here, and I can't be captured again.

Oh, no problem there! We can help you guard her. Rain offered

Take her back to town, it's not any warmer there, but there's food and if we keep an eye out, she'll be fine. Keep you company, too.

Thank you.

I flew back to Liana, changing back into a human. We left the forest together after a few minutes of convincing, back into town.