chapter 1

This is it

This is it. She was finally a Google intern. Mary Jane straightened out her red and white striped shirt as she stared up at the colorful sign on the building. She was definitely gonna crush this. Or, at least, she hoped she would. "Fancy seeing you here, Janey", a voice echoed behind her.

Mary Jane clenched her fists tightly for a moment before turning on her heel, forcing a fake grin on her face. "Graham, how lovely to see you!"

"Isn't it? Such a coincidence that we would wind up here together!"

The red head rolled her eyes, crossing her arms as she blinked. "You mean the place where I told you I've always dreamed of working to get my start? Yes, such a coincidence."

"Perhaps it's fate", he continued on, as if he couldn't pick up on the annoyance in her tone. "Maybe you'll rethink your hasty decision."

Mary Jane smiled as she looked up at him, stepping closer. "Never in a million years you slimy little snake." Graham's face fell as Mary Jane turned on her heel and began walking away. "Oh, and stop faking that accent, you're not fooling anyone!", she called over her shoulder.

Once she was inside the building, she was amazed by everything she saw. She had never seen anything like half of these things before. "Whoa, real life rocket", she gaped, eyeing the piece of the space shuttle that hung overhead. Amidst all her curious wandering, Mary Jane had stopped watching where she was going. She backed right into a boy whose nose was buried in his phone.

"Hey, watch it, genius", the boy barked in annoyance before he looked up. His eyes roamed her long, pale legs first before he finally looked up at her face. To say that Stuart Twombly was awestruck by Mary Jane Hiegler was an understatement.

"I'm sorry", the redhead flushed, teeth sinking into the flesh of her plump bottom lip. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"No—no, it's, uh, it's totally alright", he stammered out awkwardly. "I wasn't paying attention either. I'm Stuart."

She smiled softly, holding out her hand for him to shake. Stuart stared at her like he didn't know what to do for a long moment before shaking it. "Mary Jane."

And there comes the word vomit. "Isn't that a drug?" Stuart mentally cringed. He hadn't meant to say the first thing that popped into his head like that, but he had.

"Uh, yeah! I guess it is", Mary Jane nodded, her smile now awkward and uncomfortable. "Though I was named for the comic book character. You know, Spider-Man's first girlfriend?"

"Right", Stuart nodded. "I guess that makes sense. You know, the red hair and the — I'm gonna go." The boy quickly back pedaled, clearly embarrassed, leaving Mary Jane to stand there and giggle quietly.

Once she had brought herself back to reality, the girl followed the signs to where the rest of the interns should be gathered. There was quite a large group there, and Mary Jane suddenly felt intimidated by all of the undoubtedly intelligent people.

Many people around her were getting to know each other, so that made Mary Jane feel even more out of place. She bumped into a tall blonde man and quickly apologized. She really needed to stop meeting people like that. "I am so sorry, sir! I didn't mean to — wait, aren't you a little old to be a Google intern?", she asked, raising a brow.

"Probably. I'm Nick", he greeted politely, shaking her hand.

"I'm Mary Jane!"

"Like the drug?"

"No", Mary Jane frowned. "Like the comic book character. Mary Jane Watson? Spider-Man's girlfriend? You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?"

"Not at all", the man admitted honestly.

"Well, Nick, I'm sure there's a lot we can learn from each other", Mary Jane grinned. "You can just call me MJ!"

Once Mr. Chetty made his speech, they were sent on a 'scavenger hunt' of sorts. Mary Jane happened to arrive at the door at the same time as Graham, giving him a large grin. "You snooze, you lose, honey", she said, her voice sickeningly sweet before she ducked into the room.

She wound up sitting next to Stuart, who didn't even give her a glance. "You know, you'll miss everything in the world if you never look up from that thing", she whispered, leaning over.

Stuart shuddered a bit when her breath fanned his ear, leaning away from the tickling sensation. "Right, sure, cause there's so much interesting stuff happening in the world like disease, pollution, and world hunger."

Mary Jane blinked, raising both her eyebrows before she sat back as a sign of surrender. "There are good things to, my dear Stuart, you just have to know where to look."

A short introduction was given before Mr. Chetty began asking them simple questions. "Grabbing a drink with your boss." Mary Jane raised her red paddle, but Mr. Chetty seemed unamused with some answers. "You think it's okay to grab a drink with your boss?"

Mary Jane turned to see Nick and his friend, giving him a sad smile. "I mean, yeah, I'd crack open a cold one with you", the dark haired man grinned.

"You will not crack open a cold one with me. Let's try this again. Getting a drink with your boss." Everyone raised their red paddles again, including Nick and his friend. "Good. Getting romantically involved with your coworker?"

This time, Nick and Billy weren't the only ones to raise their green paddles. "Ms. Hiegler, care to explain to me why you chose the wrong answer?", Mr. Chetty asked. Stuart looked over, giving her an odd look.

Mary Jane grinned, leaning forward. "You can't tell me who I can and cannot love, Mr. Chetty", she said simply. "The heart wants what it wants. As far as I'm concerned, if the relationship does not interfere with our work, there should be nothing wrong with our relationship."

Mr. Chetty paused, having not been expecting that answer. He cleared his throat as he straightened. "Well, alright then... Taking food home from the office." Everyone raises their red paddles, except for the brunette. "Mr. McMahon, you would like to take food from the office?"

"Well, I mean, I wouldn't mind taking home a slice of pizza or something..."

"Mr. McMahon, we do not take home from the office."

"But what if it's a non perishable or something, you know? Like a pudding or something?"

"You would like to take home a pudding from the office?" Mary Jane slouched in her seat. Oh, here we go.

"And pizza."

"Pudding and pizza?"

"Oh, and donuts."

"Pudding, pizza, and donuts?", Mr. Chetty repeated, getting louder with each word.

"And—"

"Mr. McMahon, we do not take food, of any kind, from the office! Now, let us try this again. Taking food, from the office!" This time, everyone raised their red paddles. "Good."

February 24, 2019