chapter 4

"Excuse me", Mary Jane said politely as stood at the counter

"Excuse me", Mary Jane said politely as stood at the counter. "How much for a caramel frappé?"

"It's free", the boy answered politely.

Mary Jane's jaw dropped slightly. "Free?", she repeated.

"Yes, free. Everything in here is complimentary." He seemed like he had this conversation a lot and was probably pretty tired of it, but Mary Jane just couldn't believe it.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive", he nodded, gesturing around the colorful room. "Take anything you like."

Mary Jane eyed him hesitantly for a moment before ordering the delicious beverage. She saw a ham and cheese sandwich type thing, wrapped in the same sweet bread a croissant would be made of, and ended up ordering two of those.

"Oh, Mary Jane, how lovely to see you again," Graham greeted, still speaking in his faux British accent.

"Graham, sorry that I can't say the same", she grinned. "What do you want?"

"I just think it's funny that we keep running into each other, don't you think? Maybe the universe is trying to tell us something."

Mary Jane rolled her eyes, tapping her foot impatiently. "Sure, whatever you say, Graham."

"You know, there's s reason we both worked so well together before", he continued, taking a step closer. "We're both ambitious. It's not too late for you to switch teams, you know? We'd be an unstoppable force!"

While Graham was talking, Stuart had entered the room. He was curious as to what Mary Jane would say — if she would really leave them for the superior team. "No, thanks anyway though, Graham", the red head said as she turned and took her bag and her coffee, giving the boy behind the counter a sweet smile, "I'm sure it'll all work out your way anyway. It always does, doesn't it? Toodles!", she said, giving a small finger wave. "Oh, hey, Stuart!"

The boy looked ashamed at having been caught, clearing his throat. "Hey, Mary Jane, still want me to stay out of your way?"

The red head appeared to be thinking about it for a moment before shrugging. "We still don't know what our next challenge is yet, and there's a tiny window before I start studying — my breakfast time", she said, holding up her coffee and the brown paper bag. "I will be sitting right over there if you choose to join me before that window closes."

She took a seat at the table and took out her phone as well. She wasn't phone obsessed or anything of the sort, but she did enjoy going on social media when she had the time. She responded to a few iMessages from her mother, popping in to the group chat her friends had set up for a bit before opening a message from her main group of friends. She was excited to find a video of a tall blonde girl with striking green eyes, a shorter Latina girl who looked as fierce as ever, a very thin dark skinned girl who's hair was up in puffs, and a thin mixed girl with a mischievous look. Accompanying them were three boys, one with black and blue eyes who wore a grey beanie, a red head who looked quite sweaty, and a smaller boy with pale skin and blue eyes, her cousin actually. The group was otherwise known as Lola, Marisol, Mia, Lana, Zack, Ashton, and Drew — the fun bunch. Pressing play, the seven of them gave out joyous whoops before shouting, "We miss you, MJ! Come home soon!"

"Seems like you've got quite the fan base", Stuart said as he took the seat across from her.

Mary Jane looked up with a smile, resting her chin in her hand. "I suppose I do. I have amazing friends."

"Must be nice", Stuart mumbled.

Mary Jane looked at him in confusion. "You say that like you don't have any friends..."

Stuart's face turned red. "No, I do! Just not like, you know, that."

"Right", Mary Jane mumbled, nodding along. "They definitely are something. I assume your friends are more tame?"

"That's one word for it."

Mary Jane took a sip of her drink, her perfect, full lips puckered around the straw. Stuart found himself drawn to the action, fidgeting in his seat. At the end of the day, he was still a guy. "Do you miss them?"

"Terribly", she nodded.

"Well, I hope we'll suffice as substitutes until the end of the summer."

"Maybe", Mary Jane shrugged, taking a bite of one of her sandwiches. "Maybe you'll all grow on me."

February 24, 2019