Starstruck Chapter 7. Wilder

Chapter 7. Wilder

“I told you I didn’t want to go Tim,” I said in irritation. He elbowed me softly in my ribs and I clutched at it while giving him the dirtiest glare I could muster. “Shush Dulce,” he said. “We’re seniors and popular. We need to be here.”

I looked at Patty helplessly but she just shrugged and glanced around. Typical Patty. She didn’t want to stand up to Tim. The sliding door to the house opened and one of the seniors who I didn’t know by name greeted us with a hug.

“Hey guys,” she said cheerily. “I’m so glad you could come. Now that you’re here the real party can start.” She winked at me and pointed her head to the direction of the house. “Everyone is already here. There’s food in the kitchen, drinks, what else? There’s a pool at the back. If you don’t have a swimsuit you can always go skinny dipping,” she laughed and opened the door wide. “Welcome to my home.”

Tim grabbed my arm and pulled me inside. The blaring music from the speakers somewhere in the house nearly knocked me unconscious. It was a different world altogether. Something I wasn’t familiar with. I managed to avoid this kind of scene all throughout high school but now I had no choice but to go with the flow.

Different seniors greeted us left and right. Some of them were holding their drinks and would stop and stare as we passed by, while others looked like a drunken mess and didn’t even recognize us because they were too buzzed. Somewhere along the way, Tim let go of my hand and no matter where I looked, he simply wasn’t there. So was Patty. More than 50 people were present but I felt that I might as well be alone.

The captain of the basketball team, Kevin spotted me. He made his way through the wild crowd and stood near me. He offered a drink but I didn’t take it. I might not be a party person but I knew all too well that it could be spiked. “Hey Dulce,” he said with a smile showing his dimples.

“Oh hey,” I said awkwardly.

“Glad to see you here. You never came to any of my parties so I didn’t think you’d come to this one.” He run a hand through his almost non-existent hair- he wore a buzz cut- and gave me another dimpled smile.

I shoved my hands inside my jeans pocket and looked around. He was cute but he wasn’t a girl so he had no chance with me. Sensing that he was losing my attention, he moved purposely in front of me blocking my view.

“I’m so curious about you Dulce. Do you have a boyfriend?” he said. Now that he was nearer, I could smell his strong aftershave and I gagged inwardly. I never liked that smell. I preferred something softer like a woman’s scent.

“No,” I replied while taking a small step back. My answer gave him the encouragement he needed and he took a step forward. “That’s good,” he said with a gleam in his blue eyes. “Mind if we get to know each other? You’re so pretty but I heard that you like to keep to yourself. Why is that?”

“Uhmm I don’t really know,” I squeaked. My eyes darted for an escape route. He stepped closer and took a sip from his cup. I smelled alcohol from it. My feet moved backward and I stepped on someone. “Watch it bitch!” the person said.

I turned around and came face to face with my favorite person on earth, Denise. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw that it was me and my sneakers who stepped on her and her black stilettos. I didn’t know which was more awful, Kevin and his aftershave or Denise and her, well you know her. She leaned in for a hug and I ducked low to avoid her.

She saw Kevin and figured out that the dude was making his moves on me. Denise arched an eyebrow. “Kevin,” she said with a hint of impatience. “Denise,” he replied with the same tone.