03 - no names

When Cassie Lavera gets home from work, she typically heads straight for the nearest piece of furniture she can find, attempting to block out the world with her face right against the material.

Elise was used to that, and she could hardly blame the girl. Cassie's job was stressful—in a way that was different from her own barista gig. Elise's days were filled with vanilla syrups and playful teasing from her favorite coworker, along with the odd—and slightly uncomfortable—compliment from an over-enthused customer. As for Cassie, the stakes were a little bit higher. Her days constantly consisted of proving herself to a flock of LA natives who wanted nothing more than to see the girl fail.

Cassie's coworkers weren't nice, and they certainly weren't at the level of friendship that Elise and Cole had. The girls—or, Devil's spawn, as she liked to call them—were the epitome of a bitter high school clique. Only, they weren't in high school; they were all at least 24, yet sometimes Cassie felt like she was 15 all over again. She was 20 now, just a grade and a half above her best friend, and she was desperately fumbling for a career as a hairdresser. But, being the only stylist fresh out of cosmetology courses and with a distaste for bullshit, a salon in LA was absolute hell for Cassie.

The difference between the two girls arises in their work ethic; Cassie is very good at her job, but she couldn't be bothered to put much effort in. Whereas Elise is downright awful at hers, but she tries her absolute hardest anyways.

People didn't particularly get along with Cassie the way they did with Elise, and the girl was never one to be shy about her feelings toward anyone. It was a bad combination—paired with the constant snickering and backhanded remarks from her fellow hairdressers—and subduing the urge to rip their shiny hairs out left Cassie utterly drained after every shift.

So, when that same girl walked into their apartment after work with a pep in her step and more energy than she'd ever seen, Elise was positively baffled.

"Guess what?" The blonde girl was grinning, and Elise had to do a double take to make sure it was really her best friend speaking.

"—actually, you won't guess. No one ever guesses. That's a stupid fucking saying."

Elise just blinked at her as she continued to ramble, struggling to tame the mess of hair that she was forced to put up for work.

"Do I know you?" Elise couldn't help but ask.

Cassie scoffed. "And you say I'm dramatic."

"First of all, you are," Elise pointed out, and Cassie shrugged in agreement. "And second, shouldn't you be face down on the couch by now?"

"What can I say? New year, new me."

"It's June."

"I said what I said."

"Fine," Elise held back a laugh. "What am I not guessing, then?"

At this, Cassie seems to remember what their conversation was about in the first place. "Right, okay, where do I even start?"

"The beginning, preferably." Elise mumbled, and Cassie narrowed her eyes.

"This feels like an alternate universe and I am not loving the concept." It was sort of true, considering Elise usually had to let the girl take a long nap before she was ready to talk, or function.

Elise giggled. "You're right, you being all energized is messing with our whole system."

"I'll be extra moody tomorrow," she grinned. "Just to make up for it."