33 - dead

When Elise asked if he could pick her up from work, Luke was literally already on his way.

He had been driving there anyways, having dropped whatever work he was in the middle of, on the off chance she might ask. If she hadn't, he would've offered, and if Cole was there, he would've backtracked to her apartment and picked her up there, instead.

He was that insistent on spending the night with her, and lucky for him—she was the exact same.

There was nothing better, in her opinion, than sleeping with Luke. All the blankets in the world couldn't compare to the warmth of how he held her, effortlessly, as if it were his most natural reflex. And now, with her roommate fully aware, she felt free to be with him any night she wanted, without the threat of being far too suspicious.

Luke couldn't deny that he'd thought about it too, now that Cassie knew everything. He couldn't deny the sheer excitement he felt knowing he could have her all to himself, without worry of getting her in trouble, for now they had someone on their side.

"I'm rooting for you two," she had said to him the other day, just before he'd left the cafe after the mess that had ensued. "You better not fuck it up."

He had blinked at her, unsure if he was supposed to say thank you to that. A normal person might've, but he wasn't wired that way.

He ended up saying 'I'm trying not to,' for some reason, and he wasn't sure why. He didn't know where that came from, or why he felt the need to let her know, but it slipped out, and he couldn't take it back, so he was stuck with it.

It was the truth, though. At least, that's what he figured. Luke was trying, putting as much effort as he could into not screwing up what had become the best thing in his life.

And that very thing, in the form of his sweet girl, was positively beaming at him from across the pavement, looking nothing short of ecstatic to see him after a long day.

He was perched against his car, his all black attire blending in to the dark, glossy finish of his Porsche, the fond look on his face hidden slightly by his bitten lip as watched her make her way over. She was glowing, he thought. Even just under the faint illumination of the street lamps after dark, he could see it a mile away.

She was happy. Maybe even as much as he was.

As she neared, he pushed himself off his car easily, ready to greet her. "Hi," he murmured, expecting nothing less than to simply open her door and for her to hop in, maybe even to give her a little kiss if she wanted.

But what Elise did instead, was keep walking straight for him, lip bitten in excitement as she hardly hesitated to quickly wrap her arms around his waist, settling against his chest. And just like the first time this happened, she took his breath away.

Luke had quite literally forgotten how to breathe. He couldn't explain it. He'd kissed her so many times, he'd made her come right on his fingers, hell, he'd even just about died the moment he let her give him a handjob, but there he was, losing his mind over a goddamn hug.

There was just something about the way it made him feel when she did things like that—wanted, perhaps—that he couldn't get enough of. It was such a simple thing, but so very uncommon and missing in his life that it felt so painfully intimate, and so, so good.

"Lisi," He breathed, trying his hardest to keep it together as he slid his arms around her back, hoping she couldn't hear the way his heart pounded in his chest.

She smiled when he squeezed her a little tighter. It was so rare to catch him off guard, and she loved the way he was reacting.

"Hi," she murmured, pulling back just enough to gaze fondly up at him, to which he was already set intently on her. "Guess what?"