Locked Secrets

"8 moons? Well, I suppose in some terms it means after 8 full moons, or 8 months," Axis would answer, though the concern in her voice was obvious.

"Thats not what I mean!" Key then quickly said, walking over and sitting on the seat where Morihara used to sit, "You're never good at hiding things, and ever since Lunalie came over with a job offer, you've been acting a bit strange. Is the world gonna end or something?"

Axis had to stifle a laugh, hearing the extreme example her assistant gave her, then it quickly faded back to that sorrowful expression Key had took witness to all through yesterday and today, "I'm sorry Key, but I'm afraid that I cannot tell you... at least, not now."

"What is that supposed to mean? Why can't you tell me now?"

Silence was only her response, as the two ended up staring at each other throughout that said silence. Surely Key would know the reason why Axis was unable to say anything, to be unable to tell her anything, but it's something Key surely didn't want to accept that as fact. The silence only then broke when the door opened, a human male coming inside to look around.

"Oh uh- sorry, are you guys still open?" he asked, looking to be in his mid twenties, and wore casual, comfortable wear. Looking rather baffled upon the two shopkeepers, who look far beyond normal in his point of view.

"Yes, we still are." Axis took this opportunity and immediately got up to help aid the human man, "What bring you to this humble store?"

"Ah, well, I looking for a present for my girlfriend, and I just stumbled onto this store by chance honestly," the man would laugh awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck, "Do you perhaps have something that would please a woman? I'm sure this place should have something unique... well, being an antique store."

"Well that depends, what does your girlfriend like?"

"Well... Im not sure myself... actually."

"You're not sure?"

"Yeah, she doesn't seem to react that much to anything I give her, animals, accessories, jewels, etcetera."

Axis tilted her head, even Key found this rather odd. What human has no interest to anything?

"Well, perhaps you can try asking her what she likes? Instead of randomly guessing."

"I-I can't, well- uh- I want it to be a surprise you know? Its her birthday in the next couple of days."

Key didn't notice this until now, but she noticed how fidgety the man became the more Axis continued to question him. It could look like he was simply in a rush or whatnot, but it was still odd. Looking over at Axis, she would also seem that she already figured it out.

"Then, what do you know about her already? I can try my best to find something with the information at hand."

"Right, of course!" the man seemed to brighten up, "For one she's always bedridden, always cold, of course I've gotten her blankets and such to warm her up, but it never seems to help much. She used to like music and birds though, so I tried giving those to her first but she no longer seemed that interested anymore.  If anything she started to smell rather bad, which to no offense, I still love her all the same, but getting her perfume would only mask the problem, and its difficult to move her and give her a bath you know? If only she could still say as fresh as before..."

Axis would raise her hand, to stop him from speaking any further, the look on her face was a bit grim, "I understand... I'm sorry also, because I don't have anything that would suit your lover."

The man looked a bit pissed when hearing that, "What? Why not?!"

"Well, let me ask you this at the very least... what is the status of your girlfriend?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I mean, is she ill or in a coma? Because you speak of her as if she weren't awake, or at most... as if she weren't alive."

The man took a step back, as if Axis hit the bullseye. A nervous sweat breaking down on the human man as he looked just about ready to just, book it out of the store. At least, thats what it seemed like to the both of them at the time. Though regardless of his panic, Axis kept patiently calm, and continued talking.

"Well, whether it is true or not it is none of my business..." Axis would walk up to the man and pat his shoulder reassuringly, though if anything he seemed even more freaked out by this action, "But the only reason why you were able to see and get inside this store is because of this lingering doubt and yearning. So I would recommend you to at least clear away that overall guilt, if you really don't need anything at this store. If you do still need something, then at the very least I would recommend this."

Axis went over to one of the many drawers in the store and took out a single silver ring, it had nothing special attached or engraved into it. But she took it out and brought it to the frightened young man, dropping it on the palm of his hand.

"This ring will surely make a nice gift towards your significant other, simple and sure to fit. You're free to take it without charge, an apology for interrogating you earlier."

The man would only nod, taking the ring, giving the two a quick bow to thank them, and quickly left the door. The chime only echoed as the man long left.

"You think he really killed his girlfriend or something?" Key would ask Axis, weirded out by the situation that just happened.

Axis would only smile, "Who knows, if anything I was only guessing, so I wouldn't know exactly what the man did or didn't do. But it's for the best, ones privacy is their own, and it wouldn't be right for us to try and unlock it."

Key took those words by heart, remembering the conversation the two had earlier. Perhaps she was being to impatient about Axis's overall well being, and as much as Key wants to know about her. It would be best to wait till she was ready to tell her, until that time comes, Key decided to let go of the subject. Its whats best.