Chapter 23

(Updating while on break, relatively unedited. Sorry if you find any typos. I hope you enjoy!!)

When I awoke again, it was early morning. The dim light of dawn was creeping through the curtains as I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Glancing up at the clock, I noticed it was barely after six. I sighed, knowing I needed more sleep, but also knowing I wouldn't get any if I tried.

I slowly crawled out of bed and made my way over to my closet, where I picked a black strapless dress and a matching cardigan, then found some black gloves in a drawer. I changed quickly, brushed my hair and tied it back, then left my room to wander the house.

I was halfway down the stairs when I stopped as the front door opened. I relaxed when I saw it was Sebastian.

He gently closed the door and locked it, then turned around. His eyes held a faint glimmer of either surprise or amusement. "Chrystal, what are you doing up?"

"I woke up and thought I'd get ready to see everyone off. What were you doing outside?"

Sebastian didn't answer right away, and I felt fear begin to eat at me.

"Sebastian, who was it?" I was now taking in the slightly rough appearance of his suit that he hadn't had a chance to smooth out yet, and his hair seemed a little out of place. He'd been fighting someone out there.

He sighed as he fixed his hair. "It was just an underling. I took care of him."

I felt myself gulp. "So they've found me?"

He gave me a gentle smile. "Not yet."

"But you said-"

"He had been sent to this area to search for you, just like many others have been sent elsewhere. He did not know you were here."

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. I was fine. Sebastian had taken care of it.

"With that being said, I do not believe it would be a wise idea for you to go with your friends to the airport."

I had expected him to say that. "They could have more searching for me there."

Sebastian nodded. "We do not need them finding you and following you home."

I looked down at my feet. I would just have to say goodbye from home. "Alright."

I could hear his smile as he spoke. "I know you wanted to go with them, but they will understand that you must stay here."

"I know they will. I should stay here, anyway. James will probably stop by at some point to question why we sent all of the police away, or how we got them to leave even when they were under orders to stay."

Sebastian smiled. "You can tell him we simply asked nicely."

I gave him a half smile before nodding. I didn't want to know what Sebastian did to make them leave. As long as no one was hurt, I really didn't care.

Sebastian walked up to me and placed a hand on my head. "How did you sleep after I left? Any more nightmares?"

I gave him a small smile and shook my head. "No dreams at all, actually. That I can remember, anyway."

He returned my smile. "Having no dreams is better than having bad ones." Removing his hand from my head, he asked, "Are you hungry? I imagine Maia will not have time to make breakfast when she wakes up, and I'm sure you will want to spend as much time with them as you can before they leave."

I shook my head. "I don't want to eat right now. I want to eat with everyone else. Can you just have breakfast ready by nine?"

Sebastian smiled. "As you wish."

I then looked down at the floor, my smile falling into a slight frown. I wanted to ask him something, but I knew he'd refuse. Still, I needed to try.

"Is something wrong, Chrystal?"

I sighed. "Sebastian, if I asked you to go with the others to the airport and make sure they were safe, would you?"

He didn't answer right away, and I refused to look up and meet his eyes. I didn't want to know what he was thinking.

"I believe it would be in both our best interests if I didn't," he finally spoke up.

I sighed. I'd known he would refuse to go. He felt he needed to stay here in case something happened. And while he was right, I really wanted him to go with the others and do the same.

I tried again. "If I call and ask James and a few other officers to come over while you're gone, then would you?" I finally looked up and met his gaze. "He'll want to talk anyway, and I'll be safe with them."

I waited as Sebastian searched my pleading eyes for any sign of hesitation. When he found none, he sighed. His resolve was wavering.

"I do not see a reason for anyone to have to go with them. They are not targets. No one should be after them."

"I know that. But I can't shake the images from my nightmare. I just want to know that they'll be safe. As soon as they board the plane, you can come home. Plus, if you recognize any more underlings or whatever, you can get rid of them before they have a chance to find me."

He then wrapped his arms around me. I leaned into his hold, and felt him pet my hair.

"I hate seeing you suffering like this. For that reason, if it will somehow help put your mind at ease and rid you of these images, I will go." His hold on me tightened. "We will leave shortly after noon. If James is not here by then, I am staying."

I relaxed at his words. He was going to do it. He would make sure no one got hurt, and that they all made it safely aboard the plane. His conditions seemed reasonable, and I smiled and hugged him.

"Thank you."

Sebastian leaned down and kissed my forehead, then whispered, "Anything for you, My Love."