Chapter 57

James left quickly, leading Jasmine and Maia away from this hotel. Once the door closed behind them, I smiled, then sat heavily on the bed again, holding my head in my hands.

"Chrystal?" Sarah asked quickly, running to sit beside me. She held me close, then asked the others, "What is this? What's happening to her?"

"Her powers are growing," Lisa answered softly. "She's becoming too strong to remain human. We need to end this quickly."

"She's in no condition to fight anyone!" Sarah argued.

I pulled away from her a little. "No, Lisa's right. We have to end this."

"Why? Why does this have to end now?" I could see the concern and confusion in her eyes. "If she tries to go down there and fight, she'll only get herself killed!"

"Sarah," Sebastian said smoothly, "believe me, I hate the idea of her going down there just as much as you do, but the only way to help her is to finish this."

"Why?" she asked again. "What happens when this is over?"

The demons were quiet. I held my head tighter as another wave of pain hit, and Thomas took a step closer to us.

Eventually, Evan answered. "Once her final trial is complete, she can be transformed into a demon and ascend the throne. Once she is free from her human body, she won't be in pain from her powers anymore."

"Of course, it is still her choice to make. One we will all respect," Lisa added.

There was silence in the room yet again, and Sarah held me tighter.

"You aren't really thinking about not going through with it, are you?" she asked.

I looked up and stared at her, stunned. "I don't want to leave you guys. I didn't think you'd really want me to become a demon." I hugged my arms around myself. "I don't really want to be the same sort of being who killed my parents."

"Trust me," Thomas said, "your parents would want you to be happy. They won't care what you are."

"And I for one cannot let you suffer like this for the rest of your life. Who knows how strong these powers of yours will become?" Sarah asked. "They may become too much and kill you. And we don't care what you are. You'll always be Chrystal."

My eyes watered at her remark. They both cared so much about me. I really hadn't expected them to accept my fate so easily, and yet here they were, telling me that everything was going to be okay, and that they'll always be beside me.

"I hate to interrupt," Evan said, pulling us all from our thoughts, "but they aren't slowing down, nor are they going to wait for you to be ready before they attack. We should really start moving."

I nodded, then looked around the room at everyone who remained. I had to come up with a plan. This was my fight, my destiny. I felt that I should be in charge of it.

"The four of you should go on down to the lobby, clear it out. I don't care what you have to do, but make sure you don't hurt anyone." I focused my gaze on Sarah and Thomas, and it was nice to see the familiar look on their faces as they awaited their orders. "I want both of you to stay in the hallways when the attackers get here. Only come out if we need you. Make sure all of the guests stay in their rooms. Please."

They both saluted and answered, "Yes, Chrystal," before turning to the demons.

I also gazed at them. "I can't go down there with my swords if the lobby is crowded. I'll be down soon. If they get here before I arrive, I need you to hold them off the best you can. Besides," I added, holding my head again, "I'd like to take a minute and see if this headache will go away..."