Chapter 30

(Sorry for the long wait, everyone! I finally got the urge to write and this is what I ended up with. I'm not going to go back to having a schedule just yet, because I have a lot on my plate right now with work and school, but just know that I'm not leaving and will finish this story eventually. I hope you all enjoy!)

After a refreshing nap, Sebastian and I went to the mall and I picked out a cell phone. I hadn't wanted to get anything fancy, but after listening to the sales lady go on and on about the new smart phone. I decided to get one just to shut her up.

After we set up my phone, we returned to the mansion, where I proceeded to call Jasmine.

She picked up immediately. "Hello?"

"Hey, Jasmine. It's me."

"Chrystal? Are you there? Is something wrong? What happened?"

I sighed and sat down on my bed. "I just wanted to talk to you. Is that wrong?"

I heard Jasmine sigh in relief. "Okay. No, that's fine. Talk all you want. I miss you."

"I miss you, too," I smiled sadly. "Anyway, I got a cell phone. Save this number and call me here from now on."

"You bought a cell phone? You always said you didn't need one."

"Well, I decided I do," I told her. Then I sighed, knowing I had to tell her the truth. "Look, Jasmine. You seriously can't call the home phone anymore."

"Why not?"

I hesitated. Would she try to come home? Would they all?

Apparently I thought longer than I realized. "You're leaving, aren't you?"

I nodded, then remembered she couldn't see it. "Yeah, I am. They found me."

She gulped loudly in fear. "So now what?" Her voice was shaking.

"Sebastian and James are going to move me somewhere safe. I'll be okay. Just promise me you'll only call me on this number and that you and the others won't come home until I give you the all clear."

There was a long pause between us, as if she was seriously considering if she should do as I asked or jump on the next flight over.

When she didn't say anything, I sighed. "Do you remember those nightmares I told all of you about? The ones where you're all slaughtered right before my eyes?"

She didn't say anything, but I knew she did. I continued.

"I'm going to be honest with you. Every time I have those dreams or visions or whatever they are, everyone else is already dead from the start. It's just us and Sebastian. He's protecting me, and I scream for you to run away, but you're petrified. I watch my attackers kill you every single time. I can't let that happen for real. I can't lose you for real."

There was silence between us again. The tears in my eyes were slowly escaping and running down my cheeks, and I thought I could hear Jasmine's sniffles.

"Please. Don't come back. I will let you know when it is safe. And if I can't, then-"

"No ifs about it," Jasmine interrupted. "You'll be fine. You've made it through so many impossible things. You can make it through this, too."

A small smile appeared on my lips. "I haven't made it through any impossible things."

"Chrys, need I remind you that you survived a car crash that should have taken your life? You also survived several kidnappings, and you came back from getting shot. You're a walking miracle. You can survive anything."

My smile grew, but she hadn't answered my question. "So..."

"I will tell the others what you told me. You are being relocated and it is in everyone's best interest if we stay where we are. We don't need to become distractions for you. We will stay put until you tell us it is safe to return home."

I nodded. "Thank you, Jasmine."

I could hear her smile as she replied, "No problem."

We said our goodbyes after a few more minutes of chatting, then I hung up the phone and plugged it into an outlet beside my bed. I had to make sure it was fully charged when I could. I didn't know what the world had in store for me, but I did know that if I didn't answer when Jasmine or one of the others called, they'd either come home or assume the worst. I wasn't going to risk their lives by letting my phone die.

I lay back against my pillows with a heavy sigh. Jasmine gave me her word. She never broke a promise, so I knew she would do as I asked. The others, though, especially Sarah, I wasn't so sure.

She hadn't always been so protective of me. Before the accident, we were friends. She came by and played with me when my parents were too busy, she helped me with my homework, she took me shopping. But she had never acted overprotective or motherly. She just wanted for me to be happy, and I could tell she was having fun, too.

After the accident, though, everything changed. She stayed with me every waking hour in the hospital, let me cry on her shoulder. I think the reason she started acting differently was because of how pathetic I had been. Maybe it was just to ease my pain, maybe it was because she wanted to prove that she and the others could raise me. Even so, I became something that needed to be protected. She became the head maid and, until Sebastian showed up, she was always at my side.

Even after I turned 18, she still made sure I was taken care of. Sure, it's her job, but I'd always thought I'd have some space when I grew up. I knew it was probably because of the kidnappings and then them getting taken away as bait, and then me getting shot, so I understood. I love Sarah to death, and I appreciate her caring for me and not trying to replace my parents, but her protective side needed some adjustments.

A knock on my bedroom door pulled me from my thoughts. I called out that they could enter, and the door opened to reveal Sebastian. Which I should have expected, considering he was the only other person in the house.

"How did the call go?" he asked curiously as he approached.

"Jasmine promised to stay there until I or someone gave them the okay to come home. She said she'd tell the others the same thing."

Sebastian nodded. I knew he didn't really care about what happened to the others. But he knew I did, and he would do or say anything to keep my happy.

"So do you have a plan yet?" I asked, growing anxious again. They knew where I was now. They could attack again at any moment.

"Actually, there was a call from James a few minutes ago. He also wants you relocated, and he said he will be stopping by first thing in the morning to discuss our options."

"I see." I felt my fear increase. One whole night. I had to survive one whole night knowing I could be bombarded at any moment. I gulped.

Sebastian sat on the bed beside me and took my hand. "Chrystal, nothing will happen to you tonight. I guarantee it."

I nodded, but his words did little to calm me.

"Come. I have dinner prepared for you downstairs. You need to eat."

I nodded again, but didn't move. As a result, Sebastian sighed and lifted me into his arms and carried me down the stairs and into the dining room, where I would eat what could possibly be my last meal.