Living with the Frost's

I think I kinda always knew I was adopted. I mean my family were all brilliant blonde's and I was the only one was boring brunette. My older brother Austin was the popular,tanned,sporty Womaniser and his twin...my older sister Verity was the popular girl who everyone wanted to be.

 Then there was me. The geek,the nerd,the loser...call it what you want, it's all different words that mean the same thing.The boring,uncool,pathetic little sister of the Baker Twins.

 Mia Baker. That's me. Mia Valary Renee Baker. Obviously I got stuck with the boring name. The name that would be sweet shizzle to make fun of.

Then there were my siblings name's. The names that simply oozed high maintenance chic.

Austin Jensen Zachary Baker and Verity Saskia Izabelle Baker.

Yeah... that's Isabelle but with a Z...my parents wanted it to be 'edgy'.

-

Its funny because I think deep down when you look at the family photos plastered through the house you start to notice the little things. There would be 4 perfectly blonde,manicured people with perfect teeth in designers clothes standing next to each other, the ultimate glossy family that you'd find plastered through the odourless GAP home issues. Then there'd be me...standing with them on the edge, this awkward brown haired girl,hunched at the shoulders trying terribly to pull off the same little black dress as her sister but failing miserably.

So honestly I wasn't that shocked when my mother and father sat me down the morning I turned 18 to tell me and I quote;

'Mia, your mother and I have recently found out some news which we feel may change our relationship with you forever. Mia you're adopted and your mother and father want you back.'

At which point my mother dramatically burst into tears,99% of which are fake and my father leans back and takes a sip of his couriered Starbucks chai tea latte all the while comforting my mother who and excuse my language, couldn't give two shits about me.

-

Austin and Verity were standing at the door together...like always you couldn't have tweedle dee without tweedle dum (pretty dumb).

Verity flicked back her long blonde hair and pursed her pink glossed collegenated lips at me. 'I always knew you weren't real,skank.'

I look up at her stupid irritating ignorant face. 'I am real you bimbo.' I hold out my arm and pinch myself while she looks at me with those brush like eyelashes so coated in mascara, blinking becomes a daily challenge.

She sighs.'whatever...I get your closets when you leave.'

---

Ms Toro...apparently she's the 65 year old woman who's in charge of my real mom and dads personal affairs, is talking to me as I sit in the terminal waiting for our flight number to be called. Jet freaking Blue to Washington State.

All I do is stare out of the big windows that line the terminal at Dallas International Airport. The runway outside is blurred from the hot weather and I see ground crew personnel literally pouring bottles of water over themselves in order to combat the heat only to have it land with a sizzle on the hot ground.

I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss the heat. I'm going to miss my library and I'm going to miss my parents. They're all I've ever known and even I was surprised when Verity called me Mia instead of skank, surprised and sad that I'd be  leaving her and her peroxide blond ways of life and Austin and his self absorbed swooning.

 -

It's only when Ms Toro stops nattering that I look up at her bespectacled face looking down so endearingly at mine.

She reaches out and rests her manicured hand on mine. 'Mia, I know you're worried, but the Frost family are wonderful. I've worked with them for years. Edward and Elizabeth Frost are wonderful parents and you'll be fine.'

I stare down at her hand before looking up into her kind face. 'if they were that wonderful, they wouldn't have abandoned me.'

She frowns and presses her lancome pink lips into a straight line before releasing my hand and taking a magazine out of her Hermes bag. 'You'll understand soon dear.'

I shrug and reach into my rucksack rootling for my book. For the next 4 hours while sitting in my plush First Class Seat, I lose myself in my book and try to ignore my impending doom.

-

It's raining when we touch down in Seattle. Well isn't my life just fabulous.

I collect my luggage and Ms Toro's as she takes call after call on her cellphone. The woman walks at 50 miles an hour as I scurry behind her wheeling my suitcase and her little bag all the while trying to remain in balance and hold onto whatever's left of my sanity all the while remaining weirdly calm about this whole affair.