Pula Motsoaledi

The plan had always been simple. Get a degree. Leave my parent’s house. Be a boss bitch at work. Get married. Have about five or six babies. Get a divorce. I’m still working on the last four points of my plan but trust me I’m getting there. I graduated top of my class in university, aced my articles in one of the biggest law firms and I’m well on my way to making partner. Somehow my life plan seems to be working out just fine. And like I always say, my mantra, I am in control of my destiny.

“Thami! I can’t seem to find my suede right high heel, have you seen it?”
I limped around the sitting room while stopping every five seconds to look at my watch. I was late for court, again. Two weeks ago my car broke down about a kilometre away from court and today, well this is today.
“Under the couch, where you kick everything when it irritates you” Thami stood on the stairway with his toothbrush in his mouth.
“You’re always irritating me, I wonder why I haven’t found you under there yet” I picked my shoes with one hand while holding case files in the other and my car key on my thumb.
“Or I could just help you Pula” Thami tried to remove the case files from my arms and I backed away
“I’ve got it” I smiled sarcastically
“You’re not superwoman. We all need a helping hand sometimes” he opened the door and hurried to open my car door before I arrived.
“If I needed the help Thamsanqa, I would’ve asked for it. I’m not that prideful” I said
“I’ve known you long enough to know that that statement was just you trying to convince yourself that you’re not prideful. But I’m also grateful because deep inside you know the truth” he said
“You’re standing outside with your toothbrush in your mouth giving me lectures” I rolled my eyes
“Aren’t you almost ten minutes late for court Pula?”
“SHIT!” I threw myself in my car and prayed we would have a smooth ride until we got to court.
“I’ll be home early to help you move out. Don’t touch anything until I arrive” I screamed at Thami as I drove off.

Thami is my best friend. Has been ever since I was born. I used to hate him when I believed that boys were disgusting and uncultured but I always defended him in public. He has grown to be my left lung. Though he is five years older than me, he never belittles me. We’ve been inseparable ever since. He recently moved into my apartment when his flooded two weeks ago after a geyser burst. Now I am totally against roommates/flatmates. I’ve always been ever since I left home. they eat your food, the use your toiletries, they have loud sex at night, when you have work the next day. But somehow with Thami it’s a lot different. I’ve barely even felt his presence. And now he had to go. I miss my space.

I arrived at court only to find Mrs Medupe sitting outside on the benches.
“Mrs Medupe I’m so sorry I’m late” my mind was working on a truth that would hold more weight than ‘I lost my shoes and spent quite some time looking for them only to find that they’re under the couch’
Mrs Medupe kept a straight face and honestly I hated it when I couldn’t tell someone’s facial expression. Ever since she started attending yoga classes about a month after she found her husband in bed with her assistant, shot her in the kneecaps and them served him with divorce papers the next day, her anger has subsided. However I’m not too sure about her patience.
“Ms Motsoaledi. This is the second time you’re late. Judge Mathews said he won’t be so forgiving if this happens a third time. Our court date has been rescheduled to the ninth of March. Ms Motsoaledi if you can’t finish what you started please tell me now so I can get a new attorney who won’t be late for my cases”
I kept calm. Despite having anger issues of my own I respected my clients, as long as they gave me the same amount of respect. Mrs Medupe was talking to me with the most respect and she kept her face straight until she was done. I respected her for that.
“I really apologise Mrs Medupe and I promise you this will never happen again” I said.
She gave me the weakest smile as she left.
Another case messed up.

I sat in my car trying to come up with the best excuse as to why I was late for another court case. The third one in my whole career.
“I am in control of my destiny” I inhaled
“I am the best at what I do” I exhaled slowly.