Chapter 1

*Clementine's POV*

"I'm home!" Lee shouted from the kitchen. Me, AJ and Carley ran up to him to give him a hug, not noticing someone behind him.

"Who's that?" I ask as I pull out from the hug, spotting the person hiding in the corner behind Lee.

"Oh, Carley, AJ, Clem, this is Violet." He said with a big smile on his face. AJ stared at her with a confused look on his face.

"Why is she here?" He asked.

Lee bent down to AJ's level with a small smile on his face. "Well buddy, Violet needed a home. Her parents didn't want her anymore so she was left all alone. But then I found her and brought her here until we can find her a new home." He got back up and turned to the girl, his smile faded.

"So you're adopting her?" Carley asked.

"No she's just going to be living here for a while." Lee explained. I scoffed. "What's the matter sweet pea?" Lee asked, crossing his arms.

"Why does she have to live here when the couple next door has wanted to adopt for years?" I put my hands on my hips and frown.

"Because, she looked terrified and wouldn't leave my side when I tried to drop her off there. And I don't think they liked her anyway." He sighed. I looked at Violet who was watching me and she quickly looked down at the ground.

I sigh and hold my hand out for her to shake. She stared at it for a few seconds before she held it, shaking it slightly. "I'm Clementine." I say with a fake smile on my face.

"I'm Violet." She looked up at me and smiled. She let go of my hand and looked over to Carley who walked up to hug her.

"I'm Carley, that must've been terrible, getting kicked out of your own home." I noticed Violet's eyes filling up with tears and I turn to AJ, holding him by the shoulders and bringing him up to the strange girl.

"This is Alvin Junior, but we call him AJ." Violet smiles at him and kneels down.

"Hey there buddy." She said, AJ wrapped his arms around her. I frowned in confusion. AJ didn't like meeting new people, but now he's hugging the strange girl.

-

After dinner, Lee told me to show Violet to her room. We walked up the stairs and opened the door next to my room, she stepped inside and looked around.

"You have a really nice home." I couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks." I replied, putting her bags against the wall. She ran up to me and hugged me, taking me by surprise. Violet quickly pulled back and looked at the ground.

"S-sorry." She stuttered. I wrapped my arms around her, taking in her smell.

"It's fine." I answer.

I didn't think I'd like having a stranger living in our home, but Violet seems like a nice girl. I left her to settle in and walked into my room, flopping on my bed. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. 8:23pm. 'It's too early' I thought as I put my head on the pillow. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, forgetting I hadn't changed into my pajamas.

I woke up to the sound of the stairs creaking, I thought it was just Carley heading out to work until I checked the time. 1:04am. I frowned and stepped out of my bed. I carefully walked down the steps, not wanting to wake anybody up, and found Violet sitting on the couch with the TV remote in her hand, turning it on. I slowly walked up to her and sat down beside her. "You okay?" I ask, she looked at me and sighed.

"Yeah. Just had a nightmare." She answered, she stared at me for a few seconds, making me feel uncomfortable. She realised what she was doing and quickly looked back towards the TV.