Chapter 6

I drummed my fingers against my thigh as I sighed and stared down onto the street below me, the headlights on cars flashing in the dark as they drove past, the distant laughs of a group of drunk friends outside the pub on the other side of the road, the lit up open window in one of the homes opposite mine that showed a man and a woman sat watching TV, both of them seemingly laughing at what was playing and enjoying each other's company.

When I looked up I immediately saw one of the constellations me and Violet had made up once. The gas orbs sparkling in the night sky. If Violet was there, we could have made up some more constellations like last time.

~

I sat next to Violet on the balcony, legs swinging over the edge between the railing. The stars twinkled above us and the street below us was almost silent. All that could be heard was the occasional car come by, the wind rustling the leaves on the trees that lined the street and each other's calm breathing.

"Everyone's born under a special sign right? It determines your personality." Violet spoke up, breaking the comfortable silence.

I chuckled, "That's astrology, not astronomy."

I saw the blonde's eyes widen as she realised her mistake but she shook her head, "Whatever let's just make up our own. Rules, signs, what it says about you." She looked down sheepishly and sighed. "Okay, lets do it. There! See? It's a fish." She exclaimed, pointing somewhere in the endless sky.

I followed her finger and connected the dots, when I was able to make out the shape of a fish, I nodded to the other girl. "Right. Now it needs a personality."

"Bright, pretty, good with other people, always moving, tons of energy. Sounds like anyone we know? The energy one is easy. Good with people, not so much."

"Hm, that sounds just like me." I said as I looked up at our new made up constellation.

"Tons of energy? Really? You always sleep in late." She giggled.

"I do not!" I protested, sounding offended.

"You did one time, you made us both late for school."

"Hmm, still, it's me." I smiled.

"Fine, next." Violet did her signature body-eye-roll and looked back up at the stars. "I spy with my eye a knife. See it?"

"Mmm..."

"Right there, right above your head." Violet explained.

"Yeah, they're all above my head." I retorted.

I finally found what Vi was looking at and connected all the stars.

"Mm, this one's easy. Smart, clean, vicious, dependable. Someone you want with you in a fight."

Violet continued as I thought for a moment, "Doesn't take crap from anyone. Gets shit done."

"Sounds just like you." I answered cheerily.

Violet smiled at the balcony floor, "I like that one, yeah."

"Okay, one more time." She explained as her eyes searched the sky above us. "I found a bird."

"Like, a real bird?"

"No, a star bird. Right there."

I grinned as I connected the dots on the final constellation, seeing the shape of a bird.

"A bird is free. It could go anywhere it wanted to, up and up and up, and never come back. Go south, east, west, it doesn't matter. You could fly straight into a sunset, and see where it ends." I watched her as she spoke, the way her eyes lit up as she explained, how her soft pink lips curved into a timid smile, her blonde hair framing her perfect face as it blew lightly in the cool breeze.