Chapter 4, The Nightly Summons

The call for Morning Prayer echoed throughout the house, as bright sunlight filtered through, startling me from my sleep.  My heart jolted, fearing it was much later.  The beautiful notes of the Azan called for worship of His followers and soon the world would wake outside as the day begun. 

I m glanced down, regaining my bearings, as I realized I had fallen asleep once more at my desk. The text I had been perusing the night before laid open before me—the problem I had been working on taunting me. Beside it, were copious amount of parchment filled with every inch of scrawled calculations, some having landed on the floor in favor of approaching it in a different way before moving onto the next problem. I reminded myself to be sure to gather them and tuck them away into one of the many journals I had, all filled with even more pages of neatly scrawled calculations in all manner of orientations.  

It was early still, Rahim probably still asleep. I did not know whether my father had ventured out this morning to the Mosque or if I should find him in his room, preferring to pray here before departing for the day to University.  It would not surprise me if he opted to perform his morning prayer here, thinking it wise to remain after having recovered so soon from his illness.

I quickly rose, forgetting about my papers and went to prepare their breakfast. It was a quick affair, consisting of eggs, seasoned potatoes, spiced beans, roti and some naan as well. I had also set aside a plate of dried fruits and nuts along with some tea for father.

As I began to set the table for our evening fast, both Rahim and my father awoke from their slumber and took their places. They settled themselves upon the cushions and began to partake in the meal.  I informed my father that we needed some meats and he agreed to pick them up on his way home so that I may prepare dinner.

Sometimes my father employed a servant, Fatimah, who would occasionally help clean the house. We could not pay her a salary to keep her with us indefinitely and instead opted to pay her occasionally for extra work. She oftentimes assisted me with preparing dinner and with Fatimah arriving this evening, I knew she would be of tremendous help. She usually stopped by twice a week to assist in cleaning and cooking. Like many families, Fatimah's family was too poor to send her to school like the other wealthy merchant or baron's daughters and instead opted to work as a domestic worker to help her family. Her father worked in construction while her mother took care of her younger brother.

As my father and brother left that morning, I entered my room once more and gathered my documents to set them aside neatly. Fatimah arrived this morning and I directed her to the laundry that needed to be washed, floors scrubbed, and the dishes cleaned. I was thankful for her efficiency and most often she found the work to be less taxing than her other employer's estates. The three of us did not spend too much time in our homes except on the days of break and in the evenings, leaving her little to tidy up.

With my father back at the academy, my time off had ended. I was expected to go back to the stables and continue my employment. Luckily, Emir Saeed's estate was not far and I was able to hitch a ride on the back of a rolling merchant's cart headed there.

Once I arrived, I made my way to the stable master's office. Bashir looked surprised as he watched me approach him. "I am here. Is there anything I should begin with?"

"What are you doing here?" Bashir asked, looking up from his desk in surprise.

I frowned, as an uneasy feeling settled within my frame. His surprise at my appearance, flared a warning, one that I would be wise to heed. "I am expected back to work..." I responded slowly, but hesitantly. "Why are you surprised to see me?"

"Did Emir Saeed not send you word?" Bashir inquired. He looked uneasy, almost uncomfortable. I was further convinced that something was amiss.

"What word?" I asked apprehensively.  I feared that Bashir's surprise, coupled with a supposed missive from Emir Saeed meant it could only relate to the matter of my employment.   "I received no word from Emir Saeed.  Is there something amiss?"