Her Mask

Saotome Mary's POV

Ever since that day I gained one hundred voting chips, Ririka Momobami would not leave me alone. What is her deal anyway? I told her I didn't want her around, I said I didn't need her to be my little helper. She's free to do whatever she wants to.

However, Ririka doesn't seem to understand what I'm telling her. I catch her stalking me, hiding behind nearby walls or lockers. She's watching me behind that stupid mask, I can't tell what she's thinking. It wouldn't kill her to just leave me alone.

I am currently walking aimlessly around the academy with my eyes on my phone. I was watching the live stream of Active Station. I see Jabami Yumeko and Yumemi Yumemite on stage performing their little dance. I was distracted from their singing when I hear other students gasp behind me.

I turn my attention away from my phone and looked up. Students are whispering to each other and I managed to pick up a guy saying, "The vice president is trailing her..."

Feeling Ririka's presence behind me, I decided to walk out through the doors so the other students can stop eyeing us. I made my way outside, still trying to focus on the performance on my phone. Yumeko and Yumemi's song played out loud but the sound of the vice president's shoes clicked louder.

Becoming a little irritated, I left the live stream and stopped walking. Ririka seemed to be following my movements and stopped as well. I exhaled out of annoyance and turned towards her.

"Didn't I tell you to not follow me around?" I grunted. I crossed my arms over my chest and watched her tense up.

She hesitantly takes off her dumb mask and looks up at me. "Well, didn't we promise to fight together in this election?" Ririka manages to stutter out her sentence.

I stared at her with my eyebrows furrowing. "Are you an idiot?" I replied dryly.

Ririka holds her mask close to her chest. "We promised each other!" Her blue eyes were wide with embarrassment.

"How can I work with someone who doesn't even think for themselves?"

"What?" She was thrown off guard.

I took a step towards her and she seemed to flinch. "You shouldn't allow yourself to be treated this way. You shouldn't see yourself lower than me... Or your sister."

"I don't understand... This is what I was meant to do."

Placing a hand on her shoulder, I reassured her. "Shut up." I sighed. "To me, you're my classmate. See me as your friend, okay?"

Ririka goes silent for a while. I become slightly annoyed but I decided to go easy on her, for her own sake.

"A friend..." She says under her breath as she looks down at her mask. "I see."

"Alright then," I separate myself from her. "Thanks for understanding." I forced a grin.

I couldn't tell what she was thinking, her expression was off. I wondered if she really understood what I meant. It's not like I hate Ririka, I just pity her.

She slowly puts her mask back on and I can no longer see her flushed face.

"Let's head back inside. I want to finish watching this contest." I faced the school and began walking towards the doors.

With a fake, robotic voice she replies with an emotionless; "Yes, Mary."

It was at that point, I realized I really despised that mask she wears.

Uwu what is this?? A twoshot?? ;D