Chapter 1: Thief

Once again, Pip found himself wondering what he had done to anger Lady Luck. Would it hurt her to show him some favor occasionally? But no, instead he was fleeing for his life as no less than three dogs, one pig, two children, a farmer, and his wife pursued him, waving pitchforks and shouting at the top of their lungs. The farmer's wife had a surprisingly large vocabulary, which she made full use of as she hurled all manner of insults at his fleeing figure. He really didn't see what all the fuss was about. He'd only stayed in the farmer's barn for two nights, only taken the food he needed for each meal, and only ridden the horse once. Or maybe twice.

It was possible the last choice was a mistake, what with horse thievery being punishable by hanging and all. But in his defense, he hadn't planned on being caught. He tried to use his charm and charisma to explain his presence in the stables with a saddled and bridled horse. But when the farmer pulled out a rather large knife, Pip decided that rational talk was overrated and went with the more direct survival option. He grabbed his satchel, mounted the horse, and took off toward the village. It seemed a waste not to ride the horse, as he had already gotten it ready.

The village wasn't far. In mere minutes, he had outpaced the farmer's posse, not slowing until he reached the outskirts of the village. He jumped to the ground and faced the horse in the direction of the farmer's house. Then he hit the horse hard to spur it into a gallop. Satisfied that the horse would return to its owner, he jogged to the village. With the hood of his cloak shading his face, he avoided recognition from any villagers. The angry farmer was certain to be on his tail and he needed a place to hide. Spotting a large tree partially hidden behind one of the houses, he discretely made his way towards its base. It was the perfect hiding spot. Even if his pursuers came behind the building, the thick foliage of the tree would keep him from plain view. 

Since none of the lowest branches were in reach, he put his left foot and hand against the side of the building and his right against the trunk of the tree. Moving one foot at a time, he inched his way up the tree until he was within reach of one of the lower branches. He grabbed it with both hands and hoisted himself up until he was able to swing his leg over the branch. The branches were spaced close enough together that he could easily climb higher into the tree to where he was sufficiently hidden by both the house and lower branches. Satisfied that he had managed to go unnoticed, Pip got as comfortable as he could and waited. 

Several minutes later, he heard the sound of galloping hoof beats followed by a commotion of talking. From what he could make out, the farmer had gotten his horse back and ridden it into town. Apparently, he didn't think returning his horse acquitted Pip of his crimes. As the townsfolk spread out to look for him, Pip leaned against the bark of the tree and closed his eyes to rest. He had plenty of experience hiding from angry townsfolk and he felt quite certain that no one would think to look in his tree.

After about a half hour of fruitless searching, it was decided that Pip wasn't worth the trouble and the people dispersed to their normal activities. Airing on the side of caution, Pip waited until nightfall to make his descent. Hopping quietly to the ground, Pip moved soundlessly behind the buildings, making his way to the edge of the village. His stomach rumbled, quietly reminding Pip that he hadn't eaten in hours. Pip changed trajectory, heading instead in the direction of the baker's shop. The door was bolted shut, but the windows were only blocked with thatched straw coverings. Pip slid a knife from his boot and began silently sawing his way into the shop when he paused, sensing someone's presence near him. Before he could investigate, something hard collided with the back of his head and the world went dark.

*** 

Dear Readers, 

If you have read any portion of my book, I would dearly love to hear what you think. I have to be honest with you: I am a huge procrastinator. If I don't think anyone will care if I put off writing for a month, it's likely I will. But if I know you enjoy what I've written, I will sit myself down and keep writing. Nothing motivates me more than having someone relying on me. Thank you in advance!

***