chapter one

Jisoo had seen her around the school. She'd started at the beginning of the new school year. Jisoo knew that much, but to say that she had really noticed her would be a lie. She had always seen her in passing, a flash of blonde hair hurrying past her on the way to class but now, as she stood in the doorway to her English class, Jisoo definitely noticed her. She was tall and a little lanky but she carried herself well as she walked towards Mr. Choi's desk and handed him a small piece of paper. Her brown eyes and soft features scanning the room nervously as their teacher read the note, her eyes landed on Jisoo and she offered a smile to the newest girl in school. The first transfer student that YG High had got in two years. The girl smiled back and noticed the empty desk beside her, the only one in the class and when Mr. Choi asked her to take a seat she headed directly for it.

"Everyone, this is Lalisa Manoban. She's moved up from Ms. Park's class. Jisoo, can you catch her up?" He asked hopefully, knowing full well that Jisoo was his top student. Something she prided herself on. Mr. Choi was a good teacher, but he only seemed to invest his time in students who proved they wanted to learn, this Lalisa girl still obviously had to prove that, and so passing off the task of catching her up to Jisoo had not really surprised her. She nodded her head and leaned over to Lisa.

"Hi!" She smiled, brightly and held out her hand. Lisa looked at it for a second and then took it in her own to shake. "I have a study period next, if you're free I could bring you up to speed then?""Uh yeah, sure." Lisa nodded as she looked out her notebook from her backpack, placing it on the desk in front of her along with a couple of pens. "Thanks.""Not a problem!" Jisoo shrugged casually, she always tried to be friendly and helpful and she knew that if Lisa was just moving up to their class now she had already missed quite a bit so she would probably need the help to make sure she didn't fall behind. Jisoo noticed Lisa do her best to keep up with what was being discussed throughout the rest of the class and smiled when she saw her write a few questions down followed by 'ask Jisoo' in big letters.Jisoo leaned over to Lisa just before the end of class and said to hang back afterward so they could decide where to go. The bell went and Jisoo noticed Lisa tense ever so slightly at the noise and then even more so when Bobby slammed his hands down onto his desk as he got to his feet to leave. Mr. Choi shot him a warning look but Bobby didn't seem to even notice. Jisoo's eyes fell back to Lisa and watched as she took a few deeps breaths, the tension in her shoulders visibly loosening. She wondered what it was about but she didn't think she knew her well enough to just ask and so she settled on a general check.

"Everything alright?" Jisoo placed her hand onto Lisa's arm and she jumped in her seat before her eyes met Jisoo's and she shook whatever had spooked her from her mind.

"Yeah sorry...I'm just a little jumpy." She looked down at Jisoo's hand still on her arm and the brunette pulled it back to rest on her own desk. "We could go to the library?" Lisa suggested and Jisoo agreed that it was a great idea.

YG High didn't have the best library but it did have a fairly good selection of non-fiction that Jisoo had been making her way through since she had finished reading all of the worthwhile fiction it had to offer and it was quiet so they would be able to talk without interruption. Most kids spent their study periods on the field that time of year, enjoying the warm days while they still could so finding an empty spot would be easy enough. They walked down the hallway, Lisa falling into step with Jisoo as she listed off all the classes that she had taken since Lisa had asked. Two boys down the hall were play-fighting on their way to class and one of them pushed the other into a locker causing Lisa to inhale sharply at the loud noise it created. Jisoo was quite observant, and it was painfully obvious that Lisa seriously did not like loud noises.

Jisoo led the way through the library, smiling and waving at Mrs. Kim behind the desk reading yet another trashy romance novel. Jisoo wished the librarian would take at least one book suggestion from her seriously but it didn't look like that would be happening before she graduated. They found a desk near the back and Jisoo started to unpack her things onto the table as Lisa sat down across from her. When Jisoo looked up at her she could tell Jisoo was visibly more relaxed than she had been since the beginning of English.