chapter three

Jisoo wasn't sure what she was expecting Lisa's mom to be like but she definitely did not expect her to be so young. She must have had Lisa before she turned eighteen...or they just had exceptional genes. Both of which were probably true in Jisoo's opinion.

Jiyoon was on her best behavior thank god because Jisoo had begged her and it was much like any other situation that she had met a friend's parents for the first time, lots of questions about what you wanted to do when you left school. Mrs. Manoban not being from here though, she also wanted to know more about the town and Jisoo, being a bit of a local history nerd, managed to impress her with little facts all throughout dinner. At one point she did see Jiyoon roll her eyes as she laid out another tidbit for Lisa's mom, and was pleasantly surprised when Lisa gently kicked Jiyoon's leg under the table to get her to stop before Jisoo had the chance to.

Lisa's mom went to sort dessert in the kitchen, leaving the three girls alone in the dining room of what was actually a really beautiful house. Jisoo had passed it before, she couldn't remember who had lived in it previously but she had always thought it looked nice.

"Your mom is super cool, Lisa!" Jisoo grinned over at her from across the table and Lisa nodded but didn't seem particularly pleased with Jisoo's assessment.

"Yeah, she's alright when she's not getting me to pretend to be someone I'm not." Lisa muttered, low but Jisoo caught it. She didn't know what to make of the comment and before she could ask Lisa to elaborate, her mother was carrying four bowls and a tub of ice cream into the room.

In true Jiyoon fashion, she left almost as soon as the meal was over, not wanting to hang around for post-dinner social activities. At least she actually thanked Lisa and her mother for having her over before she almost ran out the door. Jisoo really appreciated that Lisa was getting on so well with her sister since neither of them had many friends in town and both of them deserved more.

Lisa asked if Jisoo wanted to watch a movie and she clearly didn't feel like leaving anytime soon, so she gladly followed Lisa up the stairs to her room. Her bedroom was immaculate and Jisoo wondered if she had made sure it was before she came round or if it was actually always like that. She could picture Lisa being an incredibly organized person, but she could also picture her rushing around making the place look presentable simply because she had guests coming round. Lisa let Jisoo look around the room, read over the titles of the books on her bookcase and checked out her DVD collection before she suggested they watch Young Frankenstein.

"It's in black and white but it's one of my favorites. It's really funny!" Lisa joined Jisoo beside her DVDs which were organized alphabetically. Incredibly organized, Jisoo decided. She pulled the case from the shelf and held it out for Jisoo to look at. Jisoo had never seen it but if it was one of Lisa's favorites, she was sure she'd enjoy it.

They settled onto Lisa's bed, a single and Jisoo remembered why she was so happy when it was decided she could get a double bed after her old frame had finally provided its last night of comfort. There just simply wasn't enough room to get really comfy unless they were to lie cuddled into each other and Jisoo was definitely definitely not thinking about that. She was enjoying the movie but what Lisa had said when her mom was out the room earlier had been bugging her and she had to find out if everything was okay.

"Lisa... what did you mean earlier about your mom making you pretend to be someone you're not?" Lisa stiffened beside her and she worried she had overstepped. She started scratching the back of her hand too forcefully, the same way she did when she needed to walk through the halls at school, with all the noises and people around her making her uneasy. Jisoo reached over and pulled her nails away from her skin. "You don't have to explain if you don't want to, I just wanted to check that you're alright."