chapter two

Lisa had quickly found herself knitted into Jisoo's group of friends at school, still a little on the outside since she didn't get most of their inside jokes or know who they were talking about half the time but she felt as if she was getting somewhere. Jisoo was popular, surprisingly so, Lisa thought, for someone who spent most of their time studying. It wasn't until one lunch time when Chaeyoung was complaining that cheer practice just wasn't the same without Jisoo anymore that it made a little more sense. Of course Jisoo had been a cheerleader and of course she had decided that in her final year at school she should focus on her studies more because Lisa could tell that Jisoo was going places. She was kind, incredibly intelligent, funny, compassionate and open minded.

It was all of these qualities that had made Lisa trust Jisoo, but putting her trust in someone had got her into trouble before. She wanted to be honest with Jisoo, she wanted her to know the real Lisa, but her mother's words kept swirling in her head. What if when Lisa decided to reveal that she was gay, Jisoo didn't want to be her friend anymore, or worse tell everyone. She couldn't go through all of that, not again. Her mother had moved them far away so that she wouldn't have to deal with that again. She knew her mother just wanted what was best for her but asking her not to come out until she was done with high school and at university just felt wrong. Like she was pretending to be someone she knew she wasn't. Her mother assured her people would be more accepting at university, but Lisa was sure that Jisoo was accepting...she had to be.

The words had been on the tip of her tongue every time they had been alone together at school for the past week and she had finally plucked up the nerve to do it. Just get it out in the open and hope for the best because she wanted to know Jisoo, and Jisoo to know the real her in return. They were almost out the door, Chaeyoung and Jennie at cheer practice, and BamBam in detention because he pushed some kid who was bullying a younger student into a locker. Lisa had winced at the sound it made and Jisoo gently held onto her arm until she had calmed down. Lisa had never told Jisoo outright how badly she hated loud noises and yelling and the sounds of fists hitting flesh but she could obviously tell and she was always ready to help calm her when the flicker of a panic attack started. She had been thinking of someway to thank her and she hoped that letting her in, letting her know why exactly she was such a mess half the time would be a start.

"Jisoo, can I tell you something?"

"Hmm?" Jisoo had been reading a message on her phone but looked up at Lisa and smiled. "Oh, yeah. Of course!"

"Jisoo!!" A voice shrieked from the parking lot and Lisa closed her eyes for a brief second before Jisoo's hand found her forearm but it was gone almost as soon as it had come and Jisoo was running towards the source of the noise.

"Jiyoon!!" Jisoo jumped into the girls arms and it took a second for Lisa's momentarily jarred brain to process the information. Jiyoon. Jisoo's sister. Been gone for a couple years. She must be back for a visit. "I just got your message!" Lisa had found herself walking towards the pair who were still hugging enthusiastically, not wanting to interrupt, she hung back a bit until they had released each other from the embrace.

"What's up, Legs!" Jiyoon looked Lisa up and down, but Lisa looked behind her to double check that it was actually directed at her. It was. "You're this new friend Chu can't shut up about?"

"Jiyoon, shut up!" Jisoo spoke through gritted teeth and then smiled at Lisa, she looked nervous and Lisa couldn't understand why. "Lisa, this is my sister, Jiyoon. Jiyoon, this is Lisa."

"Nice to meet you!" Lisa smiled, trying to politely ignore the blush that was still showing a little on Jisoo's cheeks. "You just back to visit?"

"Yeah, just for a little while." Jiyoon shrugged and Lisa smiled at the way Jisoo rolled her eyes, clearly this was not a new thing for Jiyoon to do. "Sorry I missed your birthday the other week."