(part 6)

Rc3 planned an unusual training exercise for the day, so that AJ and Kannon would have to act as a unit instead of individuals. 

 “Alright, I got Devon’s permission to take you both on a real investigation,” Rc3 excitedly exclaimed, climbing into Kannon’s passenger seat.

 “Finally,” AJ exclaimed, happily to get back into “real” investigations again.

 “Now, we are going to be allowed to investigate a bank robbery, thanks to my man Devon. So don’t mess it up,” Rc3 added sternly.

 When they had arrived the bank was empty, save for the crime scene tape and a guard sitting outside the front doors to protect the scene from contamination.

Leaving Kannon in the parking lot, AJ and Rc3 headed for the bank’s main entrance; which was surrounded by scores of sparkling glass fragments.

 He stepped aside after checking the agent’s ids. “My boss said to start your investigation at the vault,’ the security officer called after the pair. He was in on the training session and Rc3’s plans to challenge the two newer F.L.A.G. Agents.

 AJ carefully picked a path to the bank’s vault.  Peering around the edge of the solid steel door, she noticed that the entirety of the safety container were empty. Using a flashlight she examined the hollow shell. Suddenly, her eyes caught on something glistening in the vault’s far corner.

 “Hmmm…. What is this?” She mused aloud, entering the steel container against her better judgment.

Bending down to inspect the object, she had turned her back to the door. Suddenly, a loud crack and vacuum like pop filled the air. Extreme darkness enclosed like a stuffy tomb around her.

 “RC3?” She wearily cried, rushing to the completely shut door. It only locked from the outside and when she had examined it earlier, she discovered that the safe was a time controlled one. Meaning, that since today was a Saturday, the vault would not open again until Monday morning.  Pounding her fists on the door she continued to beg for help, in spite of the fact that no one could hear her or do anything to help her. When her voice had grown hoarse and her eyes began to flood with terrified tear, she sank to the floor.

So, this is where trusting people lands me… into a deathtrap. This is just wonderful. I survive my boss trying to kill me, only to be suffocated inside of a bank vault on a training mission. Nice going AJ, she moodily thought to herself.

Clicking on and off the flashlight as she tried to devise a plan on her own, she remembered RC3’s lectures.  His word rang through her mind as clearly as the moment they had spilled past the man’s lips. “You don’t have to do the mission on your own. Kannon is your partner…. you are a team Start acting like one.”

It was a little late for that now…wasn’t it? No… wait…. I have a com-link communication device from Bonnie. Might as well try to use it. It’s better than sitting here for days and possibly dying.

Pressing a few buttons, AJ timidly breathed, “Kannon, can you hear me?”

 “Yes, Alyssa?” Came a smooth and silky reply in return.

“Kannon, I think I need your help…. I’m trapped inside a time-controlled bank vault and it only locks from the outside. Can you do something to get me out of this mess please?” AJ implored, her tone ringing with desperation as she did.

 “I can try something,” Kannon answered, the swooshing of his bright orange scanner could be heard through the two-way radio.  His engine reeved to life and his wheels slid forward angling his scanner and other systems towards the bank’s vault.

 AJ ran her fingers through her curls and stammered a soft, “thanks, pal.” She couldn’t help but think that maybe Rc3 was right. Maybe she did have to overcome her fear of trusting others…. Maybe, trusting Kannon wasn’t going to be as terrible as she thought after-all. 

((to be continued))