iii. ASH AND WATERFALLS

When Kris came to, sharp pains had winded down into a dull ache and a weight laid across their legs.

They remain there for a few minutes, trying to figure out whether they want to risk being mutilated by some eldritch-like creature for moving or to sacrifice their sanity by seeing it.

Kris shoves the weight off with their arms before kicking it further away and scurrying back when they gather enough courage. It was lighter than they expected, weighing just about as much as Sleeper when they—

Peeking out one eye, Kris finds Sleeper crumpled on the ground like a rag-doll.

* Oh shit.

* ..

* Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.
* Is she dead?
* Sleeping?
* She sleeps a lot, right?
* Did the fall kill her?
* Am I the sole witness in a murder?
* Is Undyne gonna charge me?

There certainly could've been more empathy for the dead and-or sleeping girl, but the question of whether or not they'd get life in prison had taken priority rather quickly.

Working their way to her on their knees, Kris forces Sleeper onto her back. There were a few tells that told them she was still alive (they think), so they used that to deduce that she was still, thankfully, alive.

Kris gives Sleeper a hard shove to try and wake her up. They throw a punch to her side when that doesn't work, rolling their eyes when it fails again.

* Holy fucking shit, how hard does she sleep?

* ..

* Maybe..

Using what strength had returned between now and the fall, Kris forces Sleeper onto her stomach while ignoring the grunts of discomfort she lets out. They grab onto her arm, moving their grip down to her bicep and—

"I swear to the Gods if you try it I will beat your ass, you overgrown fucking smurf."

Letting go and backing away, Kris stands with a limp. They wait for Sleeper to move while they slowly become more comfortable in their suit of armor.

"Why are you blue?" Her words come out as a slurred hiss, finally turning onto her back with squinted eyes. "You look like that octopus from that one show.. The one with the annoying ass sponge."

Biting back a comment about never disrespecting Spongebob, Kris instead taps against their chest plate. The show is Spongebob. The character is a squid. Squidward.

"They're basically the same animal."

They aren't.

"You're just mad that I look like a bad bitch while you look like that dragon from Dragon Tales," Sleeper quips back, punctuating it with a yawn and a stretch. Her back pops in several places before she moves on to stretching her legs, arms, and neck. "You look like the blue daredevil puppet from Sesame Street."

Sesame Street had Cookie Monster. The Muppets had Gonzo.

"You look like a Gonzo."