5 - The Attack

The aftermath of the troll incident almost overshadowed the hype for the next quidditch match. 

Harry was already viewed as impressive, especially when compared to his brother, but this only amplified the previous hype around him, and Alex hated to admit it, but he was jealous. 

His brother had single-handedly defeated a bloody mountain troll and saved a girl's life, and what had he done? Driven the girl to the location where she was almost killed. It made Alex regretful, and he promised himself that he would be better. Better than Harry. 

The first quidditch game took place the weekend after Halloween, and it was two bitter rivals; Slytherin and Gryffindor. It was also the first game that Alex Potter, the youngest seeker in a century and one of the boy-who-lived, was going to play in. 

That morning, Alex was a complete nervous wreck on the inside but showed none of it. He kept himself completely composed, and when he walked by his brother in the hallway, he saw Harry smile at him. Of course, Alex moaned in his mind, He would know when I'm a nervous wreck. 

Harry was actually thinking that his brother was back to himself - nervous but keeping it covered with his political stance. He was happy to see the return to his normal state, and could only pray that the constant bullying would stop as well. 

Alex hardly ate anything, despite Hermione - who felt no animosity to Ron and Alex after the whole troll event - badgering him about how it was important to eat to keep up his strength. 

In fact, she was one of the things that surprised him most in the following week after Halloween. She actually treated Alex as if nothing had happened, and Alex began to appreciate her personality. Although she was a know-it-all, she had a kind heart - one worthy of a Gryffindor. 

The other thing that surprised Alex was when, after Hermione had explained what had happened with the mountain troll (leaving out the details to do with Ron and Alex insulting her), McGonagall had taken 10 points each from Alex and Ron for not telling a teacher and running after her themselves. She also awarded Harry 50 points for bravery and an amazing display of magic for a first-year. This put Ravenclaw in first place for the house cup and put Gryffindor in third. 

That had made Ron furious, and while Alex was angry over it, he didn't believe it was his brother's fault that McGonagall had taken away points from them. 

Within a few days, Ron's anger towards Harry only increased as the whole school began making rumours about what had happened (none of them had been allowed to talk about it). Alex began to notice that it wasn't just anger directed towards Harry, it was intense jealousy. 

That calmed down Alex quite a bit, and he realised how much of an influence Ron's words truly held over him. He decided that he would become his own person, and while he wouldn't restrict Ron from being his own person as well, he wouldn't necessarily disapprove of it either. 

The Gryffindor team walked down towards the quidditch pitch and went into the change room. The whole team sat attentively as Oliver Wood delivered a heated speech, only being fired up more by the intensity of the team. His motivational speech ended with a, "LET'S WIN THIS FOR GRYFFINDOR!"

The whole team screamed back at him, and they entered the pitch, flying in formation with Lee Jordan's hilarious commentary in the background going on about how attractive Angelina Johnson is. 

The game began and immediately the Chasers flew into action, acting as if they were a well-oiled machine. They had always played well together but having Alex only increased their efficiency.