04. Best Funeral Ever

——————————

——————————

CHAPTER FOUR:

BEST FUNERAL EVER

——————————

It was raining.

Harper decided that the rain was rather fitting to the situation at hand, everyone around her appeared to be in a state of gloom, as for herself, she did not know just yet. Something along the lines of gratefulness surged through her, grateful for the fact that she was awake once more, grateful that the Hargreeves siblings had reunited, and grateful that Mr. Hargreeves was dead.

It had taken a while for Harper to come to the conclusion that the absence of Mr. Hargreeves was for the better of his adoptive children, as well as herself. Harper was aware of the fact that without Mr. Hargreeves work, she herself would not exist. But when Harper looked upon the damage he had inflicted on the siblings' lives, she had made up her mind.

That was another thing that Harper was struggling to comprehend, her sudden ability to have free thought, she suspected it might've been caused by the absence of Mr. Hargreeves, if he was not present to control her electronic systems, it left her with the ability to control them herself. But there were still a few pieces missing, how was it that she could feel pain? If she did not have a fully functional nervous system, how could it be that she was feeling physical ailments?

Harper considered all of those thoughts while she stood holding a large umbrella next to Vanya, as the funeral commenced. Harper was not paying much attention to the actual event in itself, but the reactions of the siblings, as well as Pogo and Grace.

Harper had never paid much mind to Grace, she knew that they were very similar in the fact that they were both created by Mr. Hargreeves. But the two rarely interacted, Harper had her job, and Grace had hers.

As for Pogo, he never spoke to Harper unless directly ordered to do so, and now after the death of Mr. Hargreeves, Pogo seemed to be almost hostile towards her.

Everyone gathered around the center area while Luther held the urn, preparing to release the ashes. Harper took notice of Ben's statue next to them and felt some form of reassurance that the entire family was together again, for this moment.

      "Did something happen?" asked Grace, with an oblivious smile.

The Hargreeves siblings turned to look at her in confusion.

      "Dad died. Remember?" Allison replied warily.

Grace blinked and her smile fell, "Oh. Yes, of course."