07. When You Die

——————————

CHAPTER SEVEN:

WHEN YOU DIE

——————————

Number Five was having a hard time pretending that the silly little robot following him around was completely fine

Number Five was having a hard time pretending that the silly little robot following him around was completely fine. Knowing what he did about the future, her presence was steadily becoming more eerie.

He hadn't wanted to believe it at first, all those years ago when he stood in the burning rubble. It didn't take him long to find is family's remains scattered amongst the destruction. One after the other lost underneath masses of stone, dirt, and ash.

Shortly after he had taken the prosthetic eye from Luther's limp hand, he had spotted something flickering in the distance, a blue light. He then realized the flickering wasn't at random, it held a pattern of five flashes before it would pause and begin again.

He moved as fast as his legs could carry him to the source of the light, an ever stronger sense of dread pulled at his stomach, but also just a sliver of hope that the five flashes weren't just a coincidence, that they were meant for him. As he drew closer, it became clear that the light source was stuck under fallen brick that formed a small cave.

He dropped to his hands and knees and began to crawl inside, ignoring the cuts and scrapes opening on his bare skin from the mess of debris. The light was practically blinding him now, making it difficult to see what it was, his eyes then focused on a small hand sprawled out on the ground, it twitched ever so slightly.

Five squinted against the flashing light, "Hello?"

It suddenly stopped.

He blinked rapidly, his retinas were strained from the sudden change and as the bright spots from his vision finally faded, he could see a faint glow from above the hand, where what appeared to be an open panel sprouted from the shoulder. Then his eyes lifted further to see a face, one he recognized instantly.

      "Harper?" He whispered in disbelief.

The state of her body was unsightly, mangled and dirty. A mixture of blood and blue liquid was smeared across most of her skin, mixing into a sickly purple. The open panel on her shoulder was the only light source, casting an eerie blue glow onto her already unsettling features. Her eyes were open but he wasn't sure if she could see him, or if she was even conscious of her surroundings.

      "Harper. . .?" He repeated.

Her hand twitched again but she remained silent.