835

You sat in your room that you shared with your older brother. It was dark with no light, not even a window, with a door at the far end. You were sitting with your thighs against your chest. Your arms wrapped around your legs in the process.

"YOU GO OUT EVERY FUCKING NIGHT AND HAVE THE NERVE TO COME BACK SMELLING LIKE BOOZE." Your mother yelled at your father. "YOUR LUCKY I HAVEN'T LEFT."

CRASH

You flinched as you heard a glass bottle breaking, tightening your grip around your legs. You wished your brother was here. To comfort you, to whisper in your ear and say they would stop. But they never did and whenever they would it would end with your mother in tears or your father in blood.

"Shut up whore. Just keep that body and you'll have a place to live." You father said calmly as you heard the front door open. A few seconds later was when you heard the whimpers. It was a noise you and your brother were oh to familiar with.

You heard the creaks in the foundation of your house resonate all the way to your mother's room. You watched your door, waiting.

Older Brother's POV

I tied the satchel that hung low on my 10 year old body. It was full with apples and loafs of bread I had stolen. The food was meant for me and my sister since our parents forgot about the part where you were supposed to actually feed your children.

I started sprinting through the houses toward my house. Once I made it, I quickly hid as my father walked out the house with a joint in his hand.

When he was outta sight, I snuck around the house and opened the back door. It opened to the kitchen. The was broken glass on the floor along with blood. I sighed as this was normal in this household. I tiptoed to my shared room and slowly twisted the knob.

As my eyes adjusted to the dark I spotted a curled up ball sitting in the far corner. I grabbed a loaf of bread from the bag and shoved the bag underneath our makeshift bed. I took out some matches and lit our lantern, it was small so I brought it over with me as I walked over to my sister and sat down next to her. I whisked my arm behind her then softly pushed her head down on my legs. "Here." I split the bread in half and gave one to Y/N.

I felt the knees of my jeans moisten as Y/N started crying. She took the bread and put it against her lips. With one hand I ate my piece of bread while with the other I pat Y/N hair.

"At least now your bread with be salty." I joked with a soft smile. I felt Y/N's body vibrate as she chuckled.

"Thank you." She muttered with a low tone. As if she didn't want someone to hear her.

I looked down at her. She was very skinny, could break her with a feather. She was also very pale like she'd never seen the sun before. It's not like she got enough to eat. The only times she even got food was when I stole or when people would pity feed us some. Like that ever happened.

Once she was done with her "dinner", I bounced my knee up slightly. "Let's go sleep." She lifted her head up and slowly raised up. The oversize long sleeve shirt she had on went past her knees. I picked up the lantern and walked to the bed, placing it next to it.

"I want the wall side." Y/N cried out. Sometimes she wanted the wall side while other times she wanted to sleep on the outside. There wasn't enough space for both of us so we had to sleep against eachother.

I got back up and let Y/N lay down. She laid on her back and I laid down aswell. She curled into me and I spat into the fire.