Chapter Eight - May

I was sitting on a bench leaning forward with my elbows on my knees. I couldn't stop my leg from shaking because of how anxious I was. The public setting of the park I was in made it better, but only slightly. I couldn't calm down enough to not move some part of my body. Sitting here now, I don't know what possessed me to believe that this would be a good idea. I had no time to second guess my decision to meet up with my mother since I saw her walking towards me. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath and trying to get my thoughts together and calm down.

I opened my eyes again just as she was approaching to take a seat next to me. She had two cups in her hand, holding one out to me with a smile on her face that only made my stomach twist because of how true it looked given the circumstances. I didn't immediately reach for the drink which only made her nudge it in my direction again. I took it from her even though I had no intention of drinking it because I didn't trust her.

"Thank you for meeting me baby. I missed you so so so much."

I nodded slightly, having to look away from her and instead to the cup in my hand.

"It's Nutella hot chocolate. I thought you'd like it."

She said happily before scooting over some closer to me. I tensed but tried to ignore since the comedy behind what she said came through a little as I scoffed.

"I'm allergic to Hazelnuts."

She waved her hand away as I placed the cup between us so she wouldn't want to move any closer.

"It can't be that bad."

I scrunched my face, vaguely remembering having to be hospitalized as a child because of how severe it actually was if I ingested it. I didn't want to dwell on it though and clearly neither did she because she spoke again.

"But who's your friend? Why don't you introduce me?"

I looked at her then followed her eyesight to DJ sitting across the path on a bench as well. I smiled a little finally realizing that her black Adidas tracksuit and black sunglasses made her look very bodyguard-ish.

"My girlfriend, but she's fine where she is."

"Oh, that's great. Are you sure? I'd love to meet her. She's so far—"

"She's not the reason I'm here."

"Yeah but you still brought her for a reason."

"And it wasn't to meet you."

She laughed a little as I looked at her. Her face grew to confusion once she realized I was more serious than I was originally letting on.

"Why are you even here? I though we had an agreement."

"Yeah I know. But you wouldn't believe how my manager treated me. It's so bad I plan on suing."

I sighed somewhat frustrated. I tried to speak to tell her that it seemed irrelevant to why she was in front of me. She spoke over me though, continuing on her rant.

"I was just trying to figure him out. You should see the way he looks at me while I'm there. He told me all that I needed to know with the way he looked at me. So I took what the looks said and decided to show interest myself. But all he did was run away. Which I don't get. I mean yes he's married but what does she have that I don't. It was obvious he wanted me and I was just trying to help him out. But when I showed up in his house he went crazy."

I furrowed my eyebrows watching as she mentally went back into that moment; even hitting herself with the heel of her hand before just digging it into her forehead as if she was trying to force it to make sense in her head. I took the moment to move away from her slightly as she started again, but more strained this time.