Chapter 3: The Deserter

"Halt!" Leo, the third in command in the Diamond Star pack, shouted to the men and women in the open field.

"Warriors, bow your heads to the newest Alpha," Leo shouted while walking between the warriors in the field.

"His name is Alpha Andrei, the feared and revered Alpha of this territory." And deserters bowed down their heads as Andrei walked in the field with a blank expression. The deserters are those previously members of the pack but for some reason run away or left the pack with or without permission. They should not be called back however it's in their pack that those who left with permission must come back when the need arises. The threat of the sadistic and brutal rogues to take over their territory is such a big deal that the patriarch decided to call the runaways. After all, they are still part of the pack.

It has been in every DNA of the werewolves, like a disease, to stick their loyalty to their pack when the war is to break out. They know before they left the territory that one day they will come back in the land they try to escape not to stay forever but to help out their pack members when they are at great danger. But Alpha Andrei still did not understand his father's decision to call the runaways back in the territory. He can accept the deserters who left the pack with the blessing of the patriarch than those who left and just run away. He despises them. He cannot fathom how they were able to remain in their normal state while ignoring the bond and pull to the pack. He heard a lot of stories that a lot of deserters who run away went crazy or become criminals in the human world. As they try to resist the pull of the pack, their wolves weaken eventually dies so as their physical and mental being.

A searing pain hit Andrei's heart.

"Maggy. Died. Crazy." His wolf said and cried.

"Stop Anon! This is not the time to do this." He shut down his wolf but deep in his heart, he was bleeding.

"Warriors, I know that most of you do not want to be here again especially the runaways but your pack needs you now more than ever. Hundreds of brutal rogues want to take this territory, kill our olds, rape our women, and enslave our pups." Andrei shouted. A gasp from the women and children in the side of the open field can be heard.

"So I thank you for returning. Once the war is over and we win, the pack will welcome those who would want to come back in the territory for good as nothing happens. You will be given your own house and a job. Your children will be given proper education, and you will not have to worry about those things you always worry in the human world." Andrei continued shouting while walking in the open field.

"I promise you this. But I also promise whoever betrays the pack, whoever kills another member of the pack, whoever rapes our women will be given a brutal death together with his or her family from your elders down to the last of your generation. I will leave no man alive in your family. I will behead them and feed their heads to the worms of the pit, and throw their body to the lions' den while you watch and being skinned alive." Andrei said with more conviction and statement rather than threatening. This message sent a shiver to every deserter in the field. They know the bloody reputation of the new Alpha. They heard from other werewolves in the human world. They knew how brutal he can be. How he mercilessly beheaded the wolves who tried to take his mother, how he killed the rogues on the war in another allied territory. He is greatly feared than his predecessor, at the same time respected.

"But pray we will win this war, and we should win this war, or else I cannot assure you what future holds to everyone," he continued.

"I hope my message is clear!" he shouted and growl.

"Yes, Alpha!" shouted the deserters. Andrei left the open field, and Beta Jed followed. They are on the way to the other side of the territory to check the development of the forts and pack houses which they had started establishing after they hear the threat of the rogues he killed who tried to take his mother.